23. muffins

Avie spent the day with her two children, soaking up every second she could with the one she does not see as often as she would like.

It felt like a long day after Daylon had come to apologize. She could see deep down he wanted to mean what he said. It was as if she felt sorry for him. But feeling pity for him does not make up for what he did to her and she had to remember that. She had to remember her two kids that were threatened.

"Mommy, when Skye wake up can he have a muffin, too?" River asked, sitting on the counter as she mixed the rest of the muffin batter that Avie started for her.

Riv had just 'helped' get Skye to sleep and wanted to make muffins, Avie figuring it was better than giving her cookies and soda. Though, Avie felt as though her four year old really did help her more than she thought she would.

Whenever Avie fed Skye and needed a cloth or a fresh diaper or even water for herself, River was quick to jump and help. River liked her toys here and there but she preferred being in the know with the adults. And considering she did not see Avie every single day, she stayed by her side the entire day.

Avie began lining the muffin tins with liners as she laughed, "Rivvy, Skye can't have any real food yet. He's just a baby."

River stopped mixing and tilted her head at her mother, "Did I have muffins when I was a baby?"

"No," Avie giggled as she continued lining the tins, "only milk."

"So, Skye only has milk?"

"Mhm."

"Oh," River looked down as she thought before looking back to Avie, "can we save some for when he can eat food?"

"That's gonna be a while." Avie kissed her cheek as she took the spoon from River's hand and began scooping the batter.

"I wanna do!" Riv shouted and got on her knees to hover over the bowl and tins.

"Go ahead." Avie giggled and let her daughter attempt to scoop the batter. Avie watched for a moment as the little girl spilled some batter along the edges of the tin and missed the liners. She put her hand over the smaller one and guided River to do it correctly.

"I was goin' it goodly." River told her bluntly but allowed her mother to help her out.

"I know, I just wanted to join." Avie kissed her shoulder as they poured more batter into another liner.

"Hm." River grinned and watched as they finished making the muffins. "Can I put them in the oven?"

Avie shook her head and slid River's body over slightly on the counter so she was no longer near the oven, "I'm gonna do this part so you don't get hurt. Remember, the oven is really, really hot. It's for adults only."

"When do I be adult?" She crossed her arms and watched Avie place the muffins into the oven.

"Hmm, try fourteen years." Avie closed the oven and set a timer on her phone.

"Is that like in a couple days or somethin'?"

Avie laughed at her inability to comprehend time and placed her hands under River's arms to lift her, "Not quite." She lifted her little body then placed her onto the ground.

"No, I wanna go up!" River stepped back and forth between her feet as she pouted.

Avie sighed and lifted her back into her arms, sitting her on her own hip. She forgot how much heavier she felt when holding her for longer than a few seconds. It made Avie a bit sad to think about how much she has grown. She thought back to when she was first born and how tiny she was, sitting nicely in the crook of her arm.