34. nemo

Quite a soft chapter, I hope you don't mind :)

****

"Did Uncle JB tire you out?" JJ asked as his daughter face planted herself onto the couch of their apartment.

They all seemed tired. Avie barely made it through the front door before stripping of her day clothes and changing into pajamas. River fell asleep in the car on the way home after being picked up. JJ was exhausted from simply dealing with the emotional family after one was sentenced away for 25 years.

But then there was Skye. He was wide awake.

JJ held him on his hip as he played with his father's shark tooth necklace. That thing was beaten up and on its last legs but JJ still wore it nearly every day.

"We went swimming." River mumbled into the cushion of the couch.

"That explains why your hair is crazy."

She lifted her head and glared at him.

JJ laughed and sat at the end of the couch where her feet were, "I'm kiddin', baby. You look beautiful as always."

She dragged her body to sit up and smile lazily at JJ.

Skye let out a random squeak and grinned at River.

She got onto her knees beside JJ and looked at Skye. She cupped his face in her hands.

He giggled lightly as he stared at her, his blue eyes wide in amazement and happy to see his sister.

"Did he have fun, Riv?" JJ asked.

She kissed his nose as he scrunched it and flailed his arms happily. She sat back on the couch, "He napped lots."

That would explain his energy.

JJ turned his attention towards their bedroom door as his girlfriend made her way out of the bedroom.

Avie had tied her hair up in a bun, wearing her boyfriend's t-shirt that rested above her knees. It seemed as though she was not wearing any shorts but JJ did not let himself get too excited. The kids were here and he knew she was in no mood to get her shit rocked. He also felt uncomfortable touching her in that way after what she just went through with her family.

He smiled sadly at her, "You alright?"

"Mama's tired." Riv laid back down on the couch on the opposite side from JJ.

"Mhm." Avie nodded tiredly at her daughter then held her hands out to her son. Skye breathed heavily in excitement as he wiggled his arms up and down, a smile growing on his face.

JJ looked at her, "You sure you wanna take him? He's not gonna cuddle."

"I want him, J." She tilted her head, not wanting to argue over this. She knew he was just trying to help. He knew how tired she was and how not tired Skye was. He did not want her getting upset if she couldn't relax with him.

He sighed and lifted Skye under his arms for her to grab him.

Avie grinned at Skye as she replaced JJ's hands with hers. She held Skye out in front of her as he giggled then smooshed her lips against his cheek, "I missed you." She muttered as she kissed all over his face. He let out a belly laugh and kicked his feet before she held him against her chest and sitting between River and JJ on the couch.

She held her hands on his back to hold him up as he sat straddling her lap. His hands instantly went for the design on her shirt; some surf shop from around town that JJ probably got as a gift for going so often.

"Alright!" JJ stood up and clapped his hands together. "Who wants to make cookies?"

Avie raised her eyebrows at him then looked down next to her where River laid.