21. safe

Long chapter... enjoy :)
Happy weekend <3

****

JJ washed himself up at his house. He changed his clothes and threw his dirty ones in the garbage in order to hide the blood left from Daylon. He could not have all his friends and daughter seeing blood on him when he was only supposed to come grab his old t-shirt that his daughter was still attached to.

He walked back into John B's place, running a hand through his hair as he shut the door behind him.

"You're back!" Pope grinned.

"Took you long enough." John B teased.

JJ nodded at them then looked around the living room, "Where is she?" He asked as he held the t-shirt in his hand.

"She's in the spare room with Avie." Sarah answered. As JJ looked at Sarah he noticed she was holding Skye in her arms, cradling him gently as he seemed to be falling asleep.

"What took you so long?" Kie questioned.

JJ shrugged casually and looked around, "Couldn't find the shirt at first."

"Hm." She nodded wearily.

He sighed and walked into the bedroom he used to spend most nights and opened the door to find River crying in Avie's arms.

"Oh," JJ looked at her sympathetically, "what's goin' on, Rivvy?"

River turned her head to see her father and instantly stopped. She crawled quickly to the edge of the bed as she reached for him, "Daddy!"

JJ chuckled and lifted her into his arms, her legs wrapping around his torso as she took the t-shirt out of his hands. She brought the fabric to her face and relaxed against his chest.

"Why are you so sad, Riv?" He asked and sat at the edge of the bed.

"I tired," She told him, "and wanna go home."

Avie sighed, "I'm not sure what got into her all of a sudden."

"She has these days sometimes." JJ explained, "And they normally lead to a panic attack later on."

"Really?" She moved to sit next to him. It pained her to know that River had these awful days and that JJ knew how to predict when her panic attacks were coming. She wished she could do something more to help her daughter but knowing she found peace in her father made Avie feel a little better about it.

"Mhm," He rubbed River's back as she calmed down in his arms, "it's alright. How've you been with Skye lately?"

"I think he's teething." Avie answered, "So, he's been rough at night."

JJ nodded and paused before answering, "You know I'm here to help."

"It's normally the middle of the night." She half smiled as she looked at him.

"Doesn't matter."

"And you're gonna wake Riv up to come over?"

JJ shrugged, "You can come to me."

Avie thought for a moment, thinking of how she had not been to that house since before River was even born. She never enjoyed going there and JJ wasn't even there much anyways.

"Luke's not there anymore." He nudged her shoulder.

She rolled her eyes with a smile, "Maybe."

"Wanna," River hiccupped, "go home."

"Why do you wanna leave so bad?" JJ chuckled.

She only sniffled.

"Go ahead." Avie spoke sweetly, "I'm sure we'll see you tomorrow or soon enough." She referred to herself and Skye.