40. preschool

A couple weeks had passed.

The touron was never mentioned again and Avie began to cling to JJ for support when she needed. 

If there was a moment of doubt in her mind, she went to him. If she was feeling upset about missing her brother, she went to him. If she was angered by Daylon's actions, she went to him.

She went to her boyfriend, the love of her life.

Exactly how it should be.

Everything was going well other than Avie adjusting without Daylon's existence. Ashton toned it down on coming over so often but he texted his little sister whenever he also needed the support. 

Life had finally calmed.

"Does she seriously need all this crap? She's four." JJ had his eyebrows knitted together as he went through a small backpack which belonged to his daughter who was starting her first day of preschool this morning. 

He examined all of the notebooks, crayons, pencils, erasers, first aid kit, and even extra snacks that her mother had packed.

Avie helped adjust River's shirt over her head as her little bum sat upon the counter, "Yes, J. She needs all of it."

"Notebooks?" He raised an eyebrow at her.

"I need notebooks to write, Daddy." River pointed out.

He rolled his eyes with a smile, "I know that, Rivvy. Do you even know how to write?" He paused.

River moved her hair out of her face after Avie messed it up by pulling her shirt over her head, "Yes." So she thought. She most definitely did not. 

"You do?" JJ questioned.

Avie giggled and moved away from her to finish feeding Skye his breakfast, "Do you now?" He sat in his high chair and gently pounded his palms on the table as he awaited his next bite. He licked his lips to try and get more of a taste of the mushy food he was eating.

"Mhm." River nodded as her father moved in front of her with her backpack. She peaked down into it, "I need to pack other 'tuff."

"What else could you possibly need?" JJ asked.

"Help." She reached her arms out to him so he could help her jump off the counter. 

He sighed and put her backpack on the ground then placed his hands under her arms to assist her jump. She picked up her backpack off of the ground and walked herself over to the coffee table in the living room. 

She picked up a random toy of her baby brother's and stuffed it into her bag. A toy that she does not use. Maybe she did not understand the concept of a backpack yet.

She leaned over the couch and slid JJ's shirt-blankie off the cushion then stuffed that into her bag as well.

"Rivvy.." JJ walked over to her slowly, "What are you doing?"

River looked up at him innocently, "Packin' what I need."

"You need Skye's teething ring?" He raised his eyebrows.

She glanced down into her bag and shrugged. 

"You can bring a toy but leave Skye's teething ring at home. That's weird." 

"But Mommy says I pack what I want." 

"Mommy told you to pack what you need, not Skye's stuff." He knelt down in front of his daughter.

Skye looked over at them after mushing his food around in his mouth then giggled as he grinned at Avie. She could not help but smile at her son's little grin and kissed him on the forehead.