24. stress

A week had passed.

Skye continued breastfeeding as he weaned off formula, finding more comfort in what his mother was providing him with.

Avie noticed his sleeping patterns and how much more content he seemed. He was at ease more often than not unlike beforehand. He slept better during his naps, he rested better while he was awake, and he started to get a better routine of sleeping through the night. There were so many little things Avie noticed Skye got better with that she didn't even think was possible.

He was more comfortable than ever, he didn't spit up as much, and he found the utmost relief in his mother's arms.

Avie felt much better with how things were going. Sometimes the days felt long and the nights even longer when Skye was having a hard time but as of the past week, life had felt easier.

Life also felt like it was slowly coming back together again. Her life had fallen apart after her breakup with JJ. Her heart had been in a constant state of longing for what was. She never thought it would get easier.

Yet here she was eager for what her future had to hold.

Ever since last week JJ had been super cautious and gentle with her. He knew she was nervous to jump back into things but they longed for each other more than ever and there was a strategic way to go about their situation to avoid mistakes being made again.

Avie let him in again.

She allowed him to sit close to her, wrap an arm around her here and there, and even kiss her cheek when saying goodbye. There were little things she allowed him to start doing again that made her heart flutter in ways it did when they were sixteen.

JJ was eager to do more, not necessarily in a sexual way, more so in a relationship sense.

He wanted to pull her close to him whenever he felt like either of them needed. He wanted to kiss her passionately before leaving and he definitely didn't ever want to leave either. He wanted to be her comfort again as she was already his. He was his most content with her.

Though today he sat on her couch, running his hands through his hair as stress coursed his body.

Avie chuckled at him confused as she placed a water bottle on the coffee table in front of him and sat beside him, "You good?" She asked, sitting close enough for their legs to touch.

Now he felt good.

But not really. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine."

Avie raised an eyebrow at him, not convinced of his answer.

"I'm good."

She looked at him with concern. She read his face and body language knowing that that was not the truth. "You seem stressed, JJ. Are you okay?"

JJ glanced over at River who rubbed Skye's back, laying on his belly on the carpet as he worked on holding his head up better. She was too into what Skye was doing to even notice her parents chatting.

He looked back to Avie and sighed, "I'm fine, Aves."

Butterflies flew in her tummy at the use of her nickname. It was one that everyone used but JJ hadn't used it since they broke up.

Well, maybe besides their drunken night together not too long ago.

She titled her head slightly and looked at him sadly.

He sent her a sad smile, "Don't worry about me." He placed his hand on her thigh that was next to his and rubbed gently with his thumb, loving how her skin felt against his touch.