Chapter 3: New entries

My father had met a woman. She was 10 years younger than him, but she was in a similar situation.

She had married very young, and had a daughter- who was then 6 years old, like my brother.

A few years after her marriage, she had divorced: her first husband turned out to be a violent, drug-addict and alcoholic.

Thus, she had found herself young, divorced, without a job, and with a daughter to raise, alone.

Her living standards had fallen pretty badly, and being one that cared much about appearances, I guess that was the hardest part for her.

But I guess, it all was.

The feeling that she had "failed" in life, somehow.

And, just like my dad, I felt that she also didn't want to have children.

They just wanted to be able to go on, both of them: forget about their painful past.

And we, kids, were burdens: heavy burdens, that kept them chained to a past they only wished to forget.

And so, I guess we could say, they were made for each other.

In the beginning of their relationship though, as much as I cannot say that I had found a loving mother, I'm glad to say that I had found an incredible sister.

In fact, me and my brother had gotten to know this woman's child- a little girl, who would then go on to become our sister.

She had it rough, her whole life: maybe worse than us.

Because she had started younger, and especially, because she was alone.

I realized only then, how lucky I had been, to have my brother with me.

Our newly acquired sister had to go through everything on her own.

A few years later, talking about that period, she told me that when she had met us, for the first time in her life, she had felt like she had a family.