26: LOST AND FOUND

CHAPTER 26

CAELON

The horizon was split with the golden line, a tell tale of the sun that is coming out behind the ranges.

“Go on, get dress. Pick your favourite flowers and meet me down by the river.”

“There is a river here?”

“Of course. You don’t expect me to conjure water out of thin air, do you? That is simply unacceptable with the rules of the realm.” Aila shrugged her shoulders, her hand still caressing the dress. “It is behind the dome. You can easily spot it because of the lilies, it will be impossible for you to not see them. And oh! You never need to look for me, since I will be waiting there for you by the riverbank, as I have been in the past.” I cringed at how I sound so sweet and blushed as Aila marveled at me, her eyes glazed.

“Stop acting like a fool that fell in love, my dearest Aila.”

She snapped out of her trance as I clear my throat.

It is the Cupid side of me that’s working here and Aila is vulnerable like all humans are as they couldn’t help but fall on my charms. I smirked at Aila who she quickly marched down the hill, nervous at first before she relaxed, swaying slightly as though she was dancing to a song.

I sighed and headed at the opposite direction where the hill dips down to a river. I took some lilies and tie them together, settling them inside the baskets before letting them float on the water, using them to form a broken circle in the middle. The full bloom rose by the river bank swayed and I gingerly plucked a few of them and put it on a basket along with some wool where I can put the ring on.

Satisfied, I headed back inside the dome with the basket on my waist and took the worn out leather bag from the side of the carousel before going outside. I gulped as I headed down the dome, pushing the pots and vases and laying the bag on top of my work table. I opened the bag, pulling the light cotton-like material.

I have heard from Emyr that clouds can be manipulated in the ancient times and made into a garment. I ran my hands on it and smiled, sighing as I removed my clothes before draping it on my body, holding it in place with the loose thread from the golden fleece. I fixed the strings on my shoulder and rummaged for the small box from the depths of the bag, holding it in the palm of my hand. I opened it, smiling tenderly at the pair of rings.

The gold glistened against the lack of sunlight and the diamond in the middle perfectly fits the mouth of the carved rose. It was simple and perfect and I know that Aila will love it. I caressed the rings before settling them inside the basket.

The hike down the hill leading to the river is quite short and I easily reached the edge where I lay the basket on a rock. I decided to wander to the other side, spying on Aila as she gathered the ivies. I sneaked at her, interrupting her as I said, “I think that’s more than enough for a bouquet.”

Aila frowns, turning so that she can glare at me, her wild ginger hair flying about as the wind blew. “Well, we have to make use of the flowers one way or another, don’t we? I am only going to be married like this so, don’t spoil my fun, Caelon!”

I let out a chuckle, walking back to the other side of the river. I waited for her by the riverbank with my feet growing colder as I skimmed the soft pebbles that lined the edges of the river.

I took the rose basket, dipping my toes as soon as I see Aila walking down the hill that leads to the river, golden veil now covering her face from me. She slowly waded through the water, giggling for she has stumbled a couple of times and by the time she has reached me, her clothes was drenched to her waist when in reality, the water is barely reaching my knees.