19 : MEETING HIS FATHER

CHAPTER 19

AILA

The morning transitions into afternoon and I felt like all the years we have lost is being recovered. However slow the process might be, I am just thankful that my mother is now here and safe with me.

It wasn’t long until Molly have decided to call it a day for she has something that came up – something to do with the orders for their potted sunflowers that the both of them shall slave the day tomorrow and hopefully finish the seedlings just in time for delivery on Monday morning. Emily whines and begs Molly to let her stay the night with us – Molly did not blink an eye as she literally dragged my mother off her feet and in a few minutes, they were gone.

I felt quite sad as I stared at them, taking their leave, my heart suffering from witnessing my mother go; hoping that someday, given the chance, I’d get to follow them so I would know where my mother lives.

“Ready to go?” Caelon carefully said as he picks up the picnic basket and offered me his hand. I gave him half a smile as I take his hand. The Manor appeared almost instantly, surrounding us with its grandeur as it stood in front of us, the wind battering our coats.

“Don’t be sad. There will be a next time,” I just nodded, not having the energy to respond. I stand from where I am sitting upon the grass and was surprised when Emyr screams from inside the house, “ Aila! Caelon!”

I looked around in alarm, my heart hammering in my chest for I am afraid that Hades has finally found us only to see Emyr rushing – his immaculate blonde hair now ruffled as though he had been running his hands on it for hours.

I notice that he is carrying something in his hands, a black book so slim that it resembles the black box Caelon uses. I chance a glance to see Caelon’s expression resembling mine as he held on tight on the basket, his stance defensive.

Emyr shakes his head as he stands in front of us, looking as though he couldn’t find the words he shall say.

“What is it, Emyr?”

 “Forget about my plans for tonight. There is something that I wanted you both to see,” He thrust the box at my hand and I asked, “What-?”

“Look! Read it, Aila. Now.”

I scanned my eyes down on the words, frowning : Wounded man found by the River Seine!

Parisians were shocked to find an unconscious odd man, floating by the river, sighted at half past five in the evening. Spectators have confessed that the man has floated to the surface, his blood spilling copiously as though he has just fallen from a great height. Some had even stated that the man has wings but it is unlikely considering the lack of evidence and is probably a trick of the eye!

The said man is currently recovering in a hospital that has chosen not to disclose any information. The man has no identity and was therefore dubbed as “Newman,” since Parisians claimed that he had been born anew for surviving such injury.