13: BECOMING CUPID

CHAPTER 13

CAELON

“I hate you, Caelon Rouen. You disgust me.”

Her footsteps faded as Aila walks away. I rested my forehead against the door, confused as to why my chest felt like it will burst with pain when I am totally fine awhile ago.

Is it possible that her words made me like this?

I fell on a heap down on the carpet, my breathing labored. I cannot understand why I am in pain. The room is heavily darkened by the curtains and the lack of sunlight makes me wish that she is next to me,  caressing my face and assuring me that everything will be alright.

I howled, facing down the carpet to avoid being heard by Newman, or Aila. I hope they are out of the house now. I can’t afford to have her see me when I am vulnerable and in pain. I am shaking so hard, I could barely climb up the bed. I pulled the sheets only to collapse back on the carpet, landing with a thud. I tried for the second time, my legs and limbs shaking so hard making it appear as though I am suffering from a seizure. Gritting my teeth, I managed to lean half of my body on top of the bed, wriggling so that I am able to situate myself comfortably, breathing out a sigh as my whole body succumbs to the pain.

The loud thudding of my chest felt like someone is stomping on me with a giant foot that I couldn’t help but sharply take a breath. I clawed at my chest; my jaw painfully clenched as I felt the thudding, shaking my whole being. I cried out in pain, turning my face down on the sheets to muffle my scream. I am breathing harshly, frustrated because I cannot fathom the feelings I am having now.

With a whimper, I grasped the sheets tightly and tried to ease myself up into a sitting position, gasping for air. I glared at my warped reflection at the window, noticing the bulge protruding from my back.

My eyes widen at the sight and with my hand shaking, I reached out to touch the bulge, a gasp escaping my mouth. The protruding bulge growing before my eyes – now about a foot long that my shirt couldn’t hold it in any longer and it ripped, revealing a beautiful pair of my golden wings.

Why now?

I frowned at my reflection, pulling away from the tattered remains of my shirt. The pain on my chest subsided into a slight burning feeling, the harsh thud now a dulled beat against my skin. I slide out of the bed and touched my reflection.

*

 “Why won’t you let me see you properly?” A familiar voice rang loud and clear as I floated in the dark.

Where am I?

“If you love me enough, you won’t ask to see my face, “ I am surprised of my own voice that I turned around and saw the girl appearing as though she is being painted on the dark mass. I can see the vicious red hair, supple red lips and vivid green eyes.

The girl in my dreams was Aila all along? No. This isn’t true.