14: GOLDEN ARROW

CHAPTER 14

CAELON

“MY LORD!”

The urgent knocking broke me off from my trance. The golden arrow fell on the carpet with a light thud and I hastily put it inside the drawer. I breathe in and out, trying to contain my anxiety but I couldn’t.

“My Lord!”

“What is it!” I called out, annoyed at Newman for interrupting my silent meditation. I have to think hard upon my encounter with Hades today. Such interruption about insignificant things is not permitted when it is crucial that I debunk Hades’ hidden messages.

“It’s the lady, My Lord. Your wife has fainted and she’s—” He was not given any chances to speak as I push him off by the door and headed to the room across. Aila is shaking upon the bed, her face pale, her lips tinted blue I touched her hands and kneeled next to her. I checked her pulse and hissed when I felt that it is too weak.

I look behind me to see Newman staring,  “What are you doing there? Get me some towels and hot water. She is freezing!” Newman scrambled down the stairs while I wrap more blankets around her shivering form. I touched her forehead and groan, “Oh, Aila. What happened to you?”

Newman arrived with the hot water and towels. He assisted me while I warm her up, “How did this happen when I specifically ask you to go down the street close to the Chateau?” I turned at Newman to see his eyes wide, “Did you encounter some possessed? Tell me what happened!”

“No possessed, My Lord. Miss was only walking next to me and shooting arrows as she should, then she keeled over and fainted. She grew so hot and I couldn’t wake her up. I brought her home because I do not know what else to do.” Newman bowed his head but before I can speak, he inquired, “Why were your wings out, My Lord? Did something happen?”

I groaned internally, not realizing that my golden wings are still protruding upon my back. I have forgotten to resume to my human form with all the thinking that Hades brought me. The appearance of the ancient arrow confused me, along with all the changes that is happening to me and now, Aila is sick for no reason.

I waved my hands, “Don’t bother. Just leave and prepare some soup for her later.” I touched her forehead and breathe out a sigh, “She is stable now. She just needs to rest. I shall go back to the other room and finish something. Please do not disturb me unless it is something that is life threatening.”

Newman nodded. He was about to leave when he paused. “Are you not going to stay here with her, my lord? You shall wait for her to wake, at least. It appears that she was distressed a while ago. Maybe she just misses you. After what happened, we never know what she might do next.”

I glared at Newman, “There’s no point watching over someone that is as stubborn as her. She is just my wife in paper, not someone whom I shall care about.” The doubt in his eyes surprised me and Newman shakes his head.