20 : A WISH UPON A STAR

CHAPTER 20

AILA

Fireflies surrounded me as soon as I took a step. I  trudged up the hill leading to the dome, the undeniable feeling of being free making my heart leap in my chest a hundred beats for minute. I laughed out loud as Caelon followed me  and lifted me on his shoulders, my feet dangling off the ground as we trekked the remaining distance.

Without exerting much effort, he balanced me on his arms and settled me down on the grass, his head automatically settling on the hollow of my neck. He smirked, tickling me.

“What would you like to do for the rest of the night, love?” his voice made me shiver as I turned, drawing closer, his forehead now leaning on mine. I am quite amazed at how handsome his shadowed face is. I wanted to say so many things to him but I contented myself by saying what I most desired at this moment.

“Kiss me, Caelon.”

I waited with bated breath.

The glowing flowers appears to be the most entertaining thing at the moment as I darted my eyes away from his intense gaze, feeling my cheeks heat up. I am quite thankful of the dark for it has settled around us - It will make it harder for Caelon to see my expression.

Though I tried to avoid his eyes, I can feel them burning the side of my face. I turned, gasping when he kissed me with such ferocity I haven’t expected from a god like him – he almost resembled an animal acting by instinct.

I shifted so that I am sitting on his lap, assuring that I can properly receive the loving he is providing me while I try to reciprocate the feeling, forgetting about my worries of having a limited time to live.

My life appears to be so short. I haven’t even experienced half of it yet so why must fate be cruel at me? At us?

Caelon must have sensed my worry when his kisses became gentler, his arms drawing away from my waist as he settled his hand on the back of my head – like  he was cradling a child. His kisses turned into sweet lingering ones that took my breath away at how much the affection he puts, clenching my heart. His action made it harder for me to respond as I tried to rewire my mind, willing it to store this in my memory.

I shall not forget him.

Caelon stopped and I gasped as the cold air touches my lips. I opened my eyes, surprised that I have closed them in the first place because of the overwhelming feeling that seems to hold unto my very being. Caelon is frowning at me. I bite my cheek, watching him as his hand caressed my cheeks, brushing the sides and wiping them.

Have I cried?

Embarrassed of what I have done, I bowed my head but he only raised it with his finger, a sad smile plastered on his face, “Why cry, my love? Have I gone that bad at kissing that I made you cry?”