Tip of the Day

"Ah, yes. The daily crossword puzzle. Today's theme: Tip of the Day." Lawrence said as he started the crossword puzzle on the newspaper while the Candace and the boys ate breakfast. "One across: The metal tip of an umbrella. Um... honey?"

Linda, who was doing the dishes, glanced back at him. "The ferrule."

"Yes. Of course." He wrote it down. "Two across: uh, the tip of the elbow. Honey?"

"The olecranon."

I thought so. Yes. Easy peasy, that one. Next: the tip of a shoelace. Yes, yes, that little hard tip at the end of a shoelace is... honey?"

Linda paused. "I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"Ugh!" Candace snapped. "It's like living with a bunch of monkeys! Just look it up on the computer!"

"But isn't it weird none of us know it's name?" Phineas questioned.

"No. That why they make smart word box for tell monkey hard brain hurts things." She mocked.

Phineas just smiled at his brother. "Removing prepositions makes it more condescending."

Candace got up and moved to sit at the computer. "Wow, 20 people e-mailed me the same video. I gotta check this out." She laughed as she watched the video of some guy in his underwear roller-skating into a toilet. "That is so humiliating. I have to send this to Jeremy, and Jenny, the track team, Chicago Joe-"

"So, uh, Candace?" Phineas spoke up as him and Ferb walked over. "Smart word box find name shoelace tip?"

Ferb immediately a sizzling noise at the burn.

Candace groaned. "Would you wait? I'm dealing with something that actually matters here." She growled in frustration. "The internet crashed!"

"I know. Baljeet! This kinda stuff is right up his alley!"

~~~

Piper was walking up to the Flynn-Flether house when the boys were just starting to leave. "Hi, guys! Where are you going?"

"Piper!" Phineas exclaimed and they both hugged her. "We're going to Baljeet to figure out what the end of a shoelace tip is called." He told her after they pulled away.

"The little hard thing? Usually made of plastic?"

"Yah!"

"Isn't that called an aglet?"

They both blinked at stared at her for a moment before Phineas broke out in a grin. "You know what it is? You're probably the only person in the whole world who does!"

Piper just shrugged. "I got bored at my parent's house a lot. You'd be surprised what you end up learning when you have nothing to do."

The kids went inside and the went up to Lawrence, who had moved to the couch, to tell him what it was.

The man went to add it to his crossword puzzle. "Okay, A-G-L-E-T. Brilliant!"

"Oh, hello Piper!" Linda greeted the Albino when she walked into the room.

"Aglet, mom!" Phineas told his her.

Linda just smiled. "Aglet you too, Phineas."

The boy chuckled. "No, mom. The shoelace tip? It's an aglet."

"How interestingly."

"Yah! Piper seems to be the only one to know the word!"

The Albino blushed. "That's highly unlikely. But it is odd that it's pretty unknown. I wonder why."