Who's at the door?

Ben's POV:

We arrived back at the house and Brandon sat me down on the couch. I looked down at the floor, my eyes watering.

"Ben, what's going on?" He asked with a sincere tone. I hesitated before looking up and responding.

"I'm getting bullied at school, someone broke Darius' necklace, we went to a museum to get it fixed, and... The truth is..." I muttered.

"The truth is..?" He repeated.

"Darius and I were dating before he died." I blurted out. Brandon gasped.

"Really?" He asked. I nodded, scared of what his reaction would be. "I..." He muttered. "I'm so happy my brother had someone to love before he passed away." He said before pulling me into a hug. "I'm so sorry you guys had to go through all of that." He added. 

I sunk into the hug, sobbing quietly. We stayed like that for roughly 15 minutes before Mrs Bowman came back. She entered the door and put her belongings on the table before rushing over.

"What happened?" She asked, concerned. Brandon pulled away from the hug and looked at me with a reassuring expression.

"I... I may have tried to join Darius..." I muttered. She frowned before pulling me off of the couch and hugging me tightly. 

"Oh darling... If you ever need to talk we're here for you." She said before pulling away from the hug, resting her hands on my shoulder. Brandon passed her the necklace and she carefully put it over my head, adjusting it to sit comfortably on my neck. 

I smiled at her and sat back down on the couch.

"Also... There's another thing I have to say..." I muttered. She hummed in response as she sat down in one of the sofa-chairs. "I'm gay." I said first. She nodded her head. 

"Alright, is that it?" She asked. I shook my head in response.

"And..." I muttered, hesitant to say it. Brand glanced at me with a smile, convincing me to tell her. "Darius and I were dating before he passed." I said. Mrs Bowman paused, not knowing what to say.

"You're telling me this after 7 and a half months?!" She said, surprised. I didn't know whether this was a good reaction of not so I just nodded guiltily. 

"I'm so glad he decided to date you and not some bratty girl from school." She said, somewhat relieved which made me laugh. The woman smiled before getting up. "Alright, who wants to help me make some muffins?" She asked. I jumped up excitedly.

"Me!" I said. Brandon laughed before walking upstairs and back to his room. 

Once school was finished Kenji came home, yawning. 

"I have a love-hate relationship with Fridays." He said, as he sat down on the couch, dropping his bag next to him. I laughed, handing him a freshly-baked muffin. 

He ate it happily. 

"Mmm I love chocolate chip muffins." He said happily as he finished the muffin. "Can I have another one?" He asked desperately.

His adoptive mother laughed before handing him another muffin. 

"Alright, now once your finished go get changed and put your uniform in the laundry hamper." She said. Kenji devoured the muffin cheerfully before grabbing his bag and walking upstairs to his room.

He came back downstairs after a few minutes with his uniform, walking to the laundry room and putting the clothing into the laundry hamper.

"Hey Ben, do you want to come hang out in my room?" Kenji asked. I nodded, about to walk off when Mrs Bowman gently grabbed my wrist. Kenji paused, staring at us.

"Uh, you go along. I'll be up there soon." I said, waving him off. I turned to face Mrs Bowman who had a frown on her face.

"Are you going to tell him about what happened today..?" She asked. I bit my lip before shaking my head.

"Nah, I don't want to cause more stress on him," I said. "I'll be fine." I added with a reassuring smile.

"Alright, whatever you say." Mrs Bowman said with a gently smile before sighing and sitting down on the couch. "Have fun!" She said as I walked up the stairs.

I entered Kenji's room and saw him sitting on his bed.

"Hey." I said as I sat down on the office chair by his desk. 

"Hey, what was that about?" He questioned, turning to face me.

"Oh, nothing." I said, shrugging. "She just asked when I wanted to go home." I said, lying. Kenji shrugged and laid down on his bed, sighing.

"So... What do you want to do?" Kenji asked. I shrugged.

"You were the one that invited me up here, you decide." I said, laughing.

"Hm... How about... You tell me what it was like dating Darius!" He said excitedly as he sat up. I laughed slightly. 

"Why do you want to know?" I asked as my laughing died down.

"Don't know, just a topic conversation. Especially considering you never told me, even after 7 months!" He groaned. I chuckled again. 

I began telling Kenji about what it was like and how much I miss him, soon being interrupted by a knock at the door. 

Kenji and I both shrugged it off, hearing Mrs Bowman open the door. We continued talking before hearing a plate shatter.

"What was that?!" I asked, worried.

"Kenji... Ben... Brandon, get down here!" She yelled, her voice cracking. Kenji and I both looked at each other, confused before rushing downstairs.