Chapter 5, Part 8 Yuuji, Asking the Peddler about Preserved Food

Good morning, Kevin-san.」(Yuuji)

「Peddler-ojichan, good morning~!」(Alice)

「Good morning, Yuuji-san, Alice-chan. Also Kotarou-san.」(Kevin)

It was the next morning after the peddler Kevin's second visit. Yuuji and the others were exchanging greetings over the gate. They had finished their breakfast.

Today, Yuuji was accompanied by Alice and Kotarou, so it was the Yuuji Full Options Version.1

「Ah, Yuuji-san. Since they have free time, I thought that it would be a good idea to let them help with rooting out the stumps. Will it be alright for you to lend them the tools?」(Kevin)

The adventurer trio that always accompanied Kevin as bodyguards. Today, they too were stuck with the task to help with clearing out the land.

✦✧✦✧

「Then, Kevin-san. Before I teach you about the preserved food, first there are many things that I want to know about whether or not they exist ......」(Yuuji)

「Yes, I don't mind. I will answer as far as my knowledge goes. I couldn't obtain them in Premie City but the Capital and other places also sell other types of preserved food.」(Kevin)

As usual, Yuuji had a distinct shadow under the corner of his eyes. Last night, after consulting with the bulletin board and receiving their instructions, he was watching the pictures reflected on the monitor and slowly drew them. It took great effort, but somehow it ended up at a level where it can be looked at.

「The first thing I want to know, is about the crops...... Does this exists? This is my country's staple food, a plant called rice...」(Yuuji)

「This is...... Sadly, I don't know about them. This drawing is about how they look after they are harvested, right? I never seen something like this before.」(Kevin)

「Is that so......」(Yuuji)

Yuuji was dejected. It couldn't be helped. He had already used up all the rice. He could have left some behind to cultivate, but rice paddy fields or rice dry planting had a high degree of difficulty. There was a possibility that he wouldn't be able to eat rice again. If a Japanese person knew about this, most of them would also be dejected. But then again, the chance for a polished grain of rice to germinate was zero. Not knowing about this can also be a blessing.

However, in some sense, Yuuji was fortunate. If he ate rice in high spirits, but it was not Japonica rice, then he would feet that the cooked rice was not that tasty when he ate it and despair, after all.

The farmer of Japan are just that great.2

Seeing Yuuji receive so much shock, Alice was puzzled. Certainly cooked rice is tasty, but she didn't understand why Yuuji was this dejected.

On the other hand, Kotarou could understand his feelings a little and gently snuggled against Yuuji, as if saying:

"Cheer up, there is a possibility that it exists somewhere."

Although, even if it exists, perhaps the rice was of an unimproved cultivar, so the different taste could send him into an even greater despair......3

✦✧✦✧

「Then, what about this? This is called noodles, it's a food that can be made from wheat or the likes......」(Yuuji)

While saying these words, Yuuji showed up a drawing of udon and all kind of pasta. The drawing of pasta not only show spaghetti but also macaroni, penne, farfalle and ravioli. Actually, this took the most time to draw. At first, it was only the drawing of pasta, but the bulletin board residents' enigmatic fastidiousness decided that Yuuji would draw all of them, even the short pasta.