Chapter 2: The Golden Apple

A/N: Welcome back! Thanks, Sleaping1, for voting on the last chapter. And your guess is...

Well, I can't reveal it yet, can I? Well, you'll soon see it in Chapter 3! (Hey, that rhymed) Anyway, on to the story!

Also, Dream and Nightmare are mortal here; they just can't die of natural causes.

3rd Person POV

Dream looked around his former home. The sky was blood red, the Tree of Feelings, his(former) mother, was chopped down, the rotten trunk decomposing  on the dusty ground. He could still hear the begs for mercy of the dying villagers and the screams of pain of Nightmare when he was transforming.

He took a deep breath. In and out.

"Calm down, Dream. You just have to get the golden apple, and then you can leave this place and never come back again."

After he calmed down, he set off to find the golden apple, trying to remember where a golden apple could be now.

Meanwhile, someone was watching Dream.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

Fate knew everything. Almost everything was under his control. But the one thing he couldn't manage in the slightest was the fate of Dreamtale brothers.

Over and over, timeline after timeline, he oversaw, unable to intervene, Nightmare being apart from Dream, fading into obscurity and depression more day after day, until he was gone.

Even when he did, the Dreams always make the wrong choices, and his help would end up being of no use.

Every time the brothers tried to start anew, their lives would always got torn apart. The passive Nightmare would commit suicide in Corrupted's mind, unable to say at least one goodbye to his brother before he went, plagued by the corruption in his body until eventually, he gave up. What was there to live for, the passive Nightmares asked. Dream would have despised them by now, have forgotten them. They were always wrong.

And Dream would have to watch his brother's death every time, mentally spiralling into insanity. Soon, he ate the last golden, exploding in positivity, not wanting to live any longer without his big brother. Like they said, "what was worth it anymore?"? (Listen I know Dream won't explode with positivity now, it's an AU, please roll with it. Past me was stupid sometimes.)

The end of their story was the most tragic of the majority of AUs. Fate would have to reassure himself each time, but he still felt remorseful. And the more he saw it, the more determined he was to support them, to help them not suffer anymore.

Until this timeline came along. Finally, Science was friends with Dream, so could help. He was a good asset for Dream to use. Finally, they found the key to the cure. Now, something changed for the better. But the depressing, heart-dropping point was...

There were no more.

There were no more golden apples. Dream had already eaten the golden apple in his fight with Nightmare in this multiverse. The search was a lost cause. Fate was moping, thinking this multiverse would be a failure too.

But then, he thought, it would be a lost cause:

Unless... Dream had some help.

Right now, Fate doesn't care about the rules. He just wanted one happy ending for the brothers.

He hurried to his room and started creating the actual last golden apple in this timeline, hoping this would work.

He hoped for one happy ending.