Reunite

"Alright, sir. I'll leave you to attend her. Please notify us if there are any questions or concerns." The doctor began to walk away.

"Wait.. do you know when she'll regain consciousness?" Corey asked.

"When she's ready. Her body is very weak. Don't worry, she'll wake up soon. You've been guarding her during this whole time. Take some time off and rest up, so when she wakes up, you'll have enough energy to keep her company." The doctor walked off, leaving just the two of us behind in silence.

Even in my subconscious, I'm afraid to see him. I'm afraid of being an utter disappointment to him. I didn't want him to hate me. I saw the bright light again. I really wanted to see him. I missed him, so I ran towards the blinding light. Wait for me, Corey.

The silence felt like an eternity before he sat down holding my hand as he whispers, "wake up Mia. I miss you. I'm sorry for everything. Wake up and look at me. Whatever you want, I'll give it to you. I'll leave your side and never return as well." He proceeded to explain everything that happened from the very beginning up until now. I finally understood everything and all the questions I had, were answered. "Just wake up and talk to me. Please... I'm sorry. I love you."

Even after hearing everything, I was unable to move. I kept telling myself to be strong and move. I wanted to talk to him, see him, touch him. I slowly opened my eyes as tears were falling. "Hi, my love. Did you just say you love me?" I lightly giggled.

"You're awake! I'm so sorry Mia. I didn't mean for all of this to happen. Yes, I'm the boss and I'm sorry we couldn't save that girl. I was working undercover to put them behind bars but things didn't go as plan because they targeted you as well. I'll explain everything soon, I promise. As long as you believe me, that's all I need," Corey said.

I trust him. "Hey, look at me. I heard everything you said earlier. I just couldn't wake up so I kept trying. I wanted to see you so I can tell you I trust you, and thank you for telling me the truth to everything. I'm sorry for making you worry. I wanted to protect Luke and I don't regret it. Where is he?"

Corey sat in silence for a minute before slowly saying, "he's gone. I couldn't locate him."

"What? What do you mean Corey? How could he just disappear like that? Was he ok when you last saw him?" I asked.

"I'm not sure, Mia. After you were shot, I couldn't focus on anything else. Everyone kind of just froze, and time stood still. I ran and picked you up and took you to the hospital. My men reported to me after we arrived here that Luke was gone. They weren't able to track his whereabouts. We'll find him soon. Don't worry. We need to take care of you first."

We both sat in silence before Corey continued speaking, "Mia, our world is much different than yours. There are things we cannot speak of and things you are not aware of. No matter what happens, I love you and I'll always fight for you."

Corey's right. Everything that happened so far raised so many questions. It's like they all live a double life. "I understand. Thank you for everything, Corey. Thank you for saving me. Thank you for not hating me for protecting Luke. I love you too." I had to say it now. I wanted him to know how much I meant when I said I love him.

Corey smiled and kissed me lightly. I felt my heart race and my cheeks heat up. When we finally pulled away, I couldn't help but ask, "How long was I gone for?"

"One week. You've been asleep for one week, Mia. I was so worried, I didn't know what else to do."

"Wow, one week? What about school and my parents?" I wondered.

"Don't worry about school, that's been taken care of. As for your parents, I told them you were hurt and are in the hospital, and they can come to visit when you're awake. Since you're awake now, I can give them a call to come or what would you like to do, beautiful?"

"Thank you for taking care of these things on my behalf. I can call my parents and just talk to them. I'll see them when I get home. I don't want them to see me in this shape. May I borrow your phone or a phone?" I quietly asked.

"Sure, here's my phone." Corey handed me his phone.