Met

"Hey Luke, I have to go back home before my parents get worried, and we both know how that one goes," I giggled.

Luke scoffed, "Yeah, they'll ask me never-ending questions about your whereabouts."

I couldn't help but laugh because he's right. Luke's the first person they'd ask. They love asking questions. I got up to grab my keys. "So, I'll see you soon. Rest up, and I'll be back again to visit," I smiled.

Luke nodded and waved. I went back downstairs, said goodbye to his parents, and left. I was driving home in the dark when I heard a loud noise before my car jerked. It startled me because I was too busy spacing out. Ugh, so much for dosing off. I pulled over to see a flat tire. Great! I need to change this tire quickly before my parents call Luke with never-ending questions. I popped the trunk and got the spare tire. As I proceeded to swap my tire, a light beamed in my direction. I ignored the vehicle's blaring headlights, although it can seriously blind someone.

The vehicle stopped and pulled to the side. Wonderful! Now I'm the one who's worried about my own whereabouts because why would anyone stop at night next to me? I pulled out my pepper spray and held my tool tight. I have to act naturally and act fast like what dad taught me. My heart wasn't listening. It wasn't calm because it was beating too loud. I couldn't concentrate on the footsteps. I squeezed my eyes shut to gather my thoughts. I can do this! I'm ready to give them a beat down and run for my life. One... Two... Three!

"Need any help?" He asked as I turned around quickly. I halted because it was him. I stood there frozen, unsure if I should fight or answer him. After all, Luke just told me what he did, and I wouldn't want to get mixed up in that stuff.

"I said, need any help?" he asked again, this time a little louder but still not breaking eye contact. I snapped back to reality.

"No, but if you want to help, just take these and put them in the trunk," I said flatly.

He nodded and proceeded to do so. I waited for him to finish before asking, "Why?"

"What do you mean why?" he asked.

"Why did you hurt Luke? Who are you?"

He chuckled, "Do you really want to know?"

"Of course, I do because Luke's my friend," I stated firmly.

His face hardened, "He deserved it."

I was in disbelief. Luke deserved the pain this guy inflicted? How does that even make sense? "I'm sorry, whatever the reason is, he didn't deserve that. He was bleeding and in pain. Thank you for offering help, and I appreciate that. It's late already so I'm leaving. Goodbye." I turned to walk away, but I felt his eyes on me, watching me leave. That was a strange encounter, and now I'm confused as to why he said Luke deserved that.