~ Chapter Sixty Four ~

To say Klaus Hargreeves was nervous about meeting his birth mother would be an understatement. Though he did his best to act normal, deep inside he was terrified. What would she say to him? Would she be surprised, or did she have a hunch that he would find her again? Those thoughts kept running through his head as he walked down the dirt road. He waved to the people who could've been his Amish family.

Eventually, he stumbled across a woman skinning off the fur of a dead rabbit. As she walked to a bucket and washed some of the blood off, Klaus walked up, taking a slow deep breath. "Mom?" He asked, startling her. She looked him up and down before saying, "Nay, English. No mothers here, only rabbits," Klaus looked confused but didn't give up hope yet.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm looking for Rachel Herschberger," he clarified. Just as the woman was about to open her mouth, a man, presumably her husband spoke up and claimed there was no Rachel. "Well, that's a shame. Do you happen to know where I might find her? I'm trying to track her down," "There's no Rachel here. Now, walk your fancy boots back to town where you belong and leave us be," the man insisted.

The junkie scoffed, surprised that the Amish were talking to him that way. But he maintained his chill composure. "All right. No need to get your knickers in a twist there," he chuckled. The woman tried to convince her husband to let Klaus speak, but the man claimed he was upsetting the "womenfolk." Klaus stumbled back, helplessly stuttering as he tried to defend himself. "I'm not upsetting anyone, especially the womenfolk. Are you kidding? Womenfolk love m-"

Before Klaus could finish his sentence, the man pushed him hard enough to make him hit the ground, coating his black leather pants in dirt and dust. He stood back up and brushed himself off, saying that he thought they were supposed to be nice. "That's what you call a misconception, English," the man responded, clearly showing no remorse. "Fine then, I'll leave!"

Klaus turned on his heel, and just as he was about to start walking, he figured he could get another insult or two in. "But I want you to know that you have ruined the Amish for me forever! And if my girlfriend came with me, you all would be burnt chicken nuggets!" he quivered, finally walking away and not looking back.

He walked into the deepest part of the nearby woods, wishing the outcome could've been different. This was nothing like how he imagined it. He thought he could walk into town, find his mother, hug and squeeze her as tight as humanly possible and catch up with her on all the drama and adventure he found himself in. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the check stub with her name, taking in a sigh.

He soon heard the sounds of faint humming and twigs snapping. For a moment, he thought the rude Amish man was coming toward him, harassing him to continue walking. But instead, he saw the woman he had talked to earlier, stooping down and grabbing something. Quicker than a bunny, he rushed over and once again scared the living daylights out of her. 

"I don't want any trouble!" She shivered. "No no, I don't want that either. You know Rachel, don't you?" Klaus questioned. "Yes... she's my sister," A small smile etched onto his face, happy to at least know one person from his mother's side. "So, where can I find her?" he inquired. She stared at him blankly as she answered the question.

"Young man, she's been dead for over 30 years."