~ Chapter Fifty Eight ~

"The Hotel Obsidian? Since when have you come here, Klausy?" Dusk asked, staring up at the multistory brick building. Aside from the black overhang above the entrance and the neon red sign on the rooftop, there seemed to be nothing special about it. But whatever it looked like, fancy or plain, the raven hoped this could be a good hiding spot for her and the rest of the family. "Oh, I've been to this place many times before. Quite charming, actually!" Klaus softly chuckled.

Just as they reached the hotel entrance, all the Hargreeves began stuffing themselves into the rotating glass door, continuously bumping into one another as they tried to squeeze past and get to the other side. "Seriously?" Dusk resisted the urge to roll her eyes as she finally broke free. As she laid eyes on the hotel's interior, her jaw dropped. Pillars leading up to the elevator were all glowing blue, a bar with a fish tank sat in one corner, while the check-in counter sat in the other.

"Oh, Hotel Obsidian. I missed you, you slutty old dame! Absorb her... absorb her into your bosom," Klaus exhaled as a grin wider than the Cheshire Cat appeared. "You know, way back in her heyday, she played host to world leaders. Roosevelt, Gandi, Stalin, Gorbachev, Castro, King Olaf of Norway, a few of the Kim Jongs, Tito, Dali Lama, Elvis, and not one but two Kardashians allegedly,"

Some of the siblings rolled their eyes as they walked off to explore their temporary home. But Dusk was just one of the few who continued to listen. "You sure know a lot about celebs coming here, Klaus," She replied as he waited for someone to respond. "Well, I may have seen a few come in here. Of course, every time I tried to talk to them, some stupid security guard pushed me away,"

The raven chuckled, trying to humor her eccentric boyfriend as she felt he was exaggerating to impress her. But then again, there was always a possibility of one encounter. "But nowadays, she's a flophouse, a party house for those of us not looking to be judged by society's rules and norms," "You mean, a place to hide?" Luther questioned. Klaus nodded, claiming that it was perfect and that they would be taken care of, no questions asked.

Out of the corner of her eye, Dusk could see more of the upscale guests staring and whispering about them. But she acted like she didn't notice and walked to the check-in desk with the rest of the family. Klaus rang the little bell, calling out to the hotel employee dressed in a blue and yellow suit and bowtie.

"Chet, Mon Frere! It's so great to see you. I'd like my usual suite, por favor!" Klaus gasped as Chet walked towards the edge of the counter. "I've never seen you before," he replied, quieting the still-ringing bell with his fingertips. A small pant came from Chet's right, and Dusk looked over to see a tiny dog resting on a doggy bed. She reached out, holding it an inch or two from his mouth.

Curiously, the dog leaned forward and sniffed her hand before deciding to lick it, making the raven giggle. "Hi sweetie," she whispered, using her other hand to pet him. "Please stop scaring my dog," Chet said as he caught sight of the moment. We were having a good time, buddy. Don't have to be so uptight. "We need some rooms, please," Vanya spoke up. Chet nodded and placed a little sign down, reading Cash up front.

Everyone's eyes widened as they didn't seem to recall having any cash on them. "Alright, empty your pockets," Luther stated. Dusk reached into her jacket pockets first, finding only a crumpled piece of straw paper. She then dug through her jeans, holding out a little hope she could contribute. Her index and middle finger made contact with something, and as she pulled the object out, she was relieved to see a folded fifty-dollar bill.