~ Chapter Thirty Four ~

Klaus's sunglasses were pushed up the bridge of his nose as he exhaled a puff of smoke from his cigarette, staring up at the blue sky. He floated on a pink lounger in the large swimming pool outside an abandoned mansion he had called his temporary home. "So, I'm guessing you're just going to sit around and float in a pool all day? What about the thing you were talking about taking care of? Or was that another one of your lies?" Ben queried as he sat at the edge of the pool.

"Shut up, Ben. It's almost noon, and I want to have quiet time to myself. And it doesn't help that you keep popping in and yapping all the time!" Klaus sighed. "Besides, I'm going to go see them in a bit. I just need to-" "Klaus?" An almost familiar voice called out, making him sit up in the floaty. It was difficult to see through his thick sunglasses, but from the doorway, he saw what appeared to be Allison. She too, had changed drastically since the last time they saw one another. Her long brown and blonde hair had been cut and dyed black, and bangs hung just a few centimeters from her eyebrows.

Klaus tried paddling back to shore as Allison ran into the pool, embracing him ever so tightly. "Oh my god! It's really you!" She gasped with relief, clutching onto him like she would lose him again. "I thought you were dead! Sit down. We have so much catching up to do," He responded, leading her to the pool edge before laying back on his pool float. "So, how did you end up in a place like this?" Allison questioned.

"Dicks, drugs, debutantes. My holy trinity. But, it's been a wild run," Klaus chuckled. Allison chuckled softly before pointing out that he had started a cult, to which Klaus responded, "Cult is a very negative word, Allison. We prefer to call it an alternative spiritual community," Allison smirked before shaking her head. "No, you definitely started a cult,"

Klaus splashed around in the pool before asking her what she had been up to since the last time they saw each other. Allison explained she was living in South Dallas and working as a Civil Rights Organizer. "With my husband," She added. "You're married? Who is the lunatic?" He asked, making Allison laugh harder. "His name is Raymond Chestnut," The name sounded familiar to the former junkie, making him tilt his head in confusion as he tried to remember that name.

"Wait, is he locked up right now?" Klaus inquired, hoping that his suspicions were correct. "Yeah, how do you know?" Allison asked with an equal amount of confusion. "We did time together. Small world," Klaus answered. The Hargreeves sister explained how she and her group were planning a big sit-in at the nearby Stadler's, then explained how her husband got arrested for a bullshit charge.

"Why don't you just rumor him out?" Klaus asked, stating the obvious to her. "I haven't used my power since that... incident. I couldn't speak for a year. But, since then, I actually enjoy my life without it. Everything I have, I've earned it, and it feels really good," She explained, getting flashbacks from the night Vanya slit her throat with her violin bow. Klaus smiled at her, happy with her accomplishments.

"Have you seen any of the others yet? Diego? Five? Dusk?" He questioned. "No, not since the night at the Icarus Theatre. I hope they're okay. Especially Vanya and Dusk," Allison denied. "I'm worried about them too. But knowing them, they can handle themselves. Especially Dusk," Klaus said, remembering the moment when he saw her turn into a phoenix while he and his siblings scrambled around for their lives.

Even though the moment of her almost attacking him was scary, he couldn't help but grin at the thought of her fiery wings and hair. She looked undeniably gorgeous. "I miss her, you know? She's like my best friend," He exhaled. "Yeah, I can see how close you to are," Allison commented, hiding the fact that she knew Dusk had a crush on him. A realization suddenly crossed her, remembering that she had to meet up with her group to discuss the fate of the sit-in.

"I have to go. I'll see you soon, okay?" She said as she put her shoes on and ran out of the mansion, leaving Klaus and Ben by themselves. "This sit-in is going to be a huge flunk if Ray's not there. I can already tell," Ben sighed. "Shut up, alright. I'm planning on going to get him out. So, don't get your little panties in a bunch thinking I'm not," Klaus said, exasperated as he got out of the pool, and walked inside the mansion.

~~~~~~~

Dusk walked down the streets of Dallas back to her car, wanting to get home soon. I know Mary thinks she's capable of taking care of James by herself, but I need to get back, just to make sure she's alright. As she walked past another car, she felt her stomach begin to grumble loudly, the sound almost becoming loud enough for nearby bystanders to hear. I shouldn't have missed breakfast. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a nearby café covered in pink and blue paint and neon lights. 

I guess a quick stop inside for some food wouldn't hurt. She ran across the street, avoiding oncoming traffic and ran inside, catching the attention of nearby patrons. She sat next to a woman and a young kid with equally similar dark hair. She grabbed a nearby menu and looked through some cheap lunch options, hoping to find something delicious, when she heard two familiar voices talking to one another. "What causes the apocalypse?" One of the voices asked the other. "A giant impact. The big kaboom ends everything," The other voice answered. Dusk looked over her shoulder, remembering the voices and instantly recognizing the people as Five and Vanya.

"Five? Vanya? Is that you?" She spoke up, catching their attention. The two Hargreeves looked over, and Five's eyes widened with surprise when he saw it was Dusk. Not only had he found Vanya, but he had also found the raven. "Dusk? You look different from the last time I saw you. Did you cut your hair?" He questioned, getting out of his seat, and gave her a quick hug. "Yeah, I got it cut about three months ago. Where have you been? And when did you get here?" She whispered.

"Who are you?" Vanya asked. Dusk looked over at her, confused as to how she didn't remember her own sister. As she was about to open her mouth, Five stopped her. Explaining that Vanya had gotten into an accident and lost her memory. "Oh, Vanny. I'm so sorry," Dusk said sympathetically. "So, I have a sister?" Vanya asked Five. "Yes. It's Dusk. You guys were close growing up," Five explained.

So many emotions had begun running through Dusk's head. She was happy, worried, confused, and relieved at the same time. It gave her a sense of hope that if she found Five and Vanya, she might be able to find Klaus, Luther, and the others as well.