Sick Day

"Achoo!" Another sneeze disrupts your rest, you groan yourself awake. You feel overheated and like you're going to die. You can't even try to talk because of how badly your throat hurts. You roll over and look at the time, 7:18am.

You let out another congested groan as your brother knocks on your bedroom door. "Y/n? It's almost time to catch the bus.. are you okay?" Dustin asks softly as he lets himself in. "Jesus Christ, you look horrible.." He exclaims without thinking. You shoot daggers at him as his face fills with regret.

"Sorry.. I'll let mom know, can I get you anything?" He asks tenderly, your eyes grew softer as you knew he just wanted to help. You shake your head gently, he just lets out a small smile, "Okay.. love you.." He says before closing the door. You lay on your back, coughing like you're on your death bed.

"Oh y/n.. my poor baby.." Your concerned mother says as she sits on the edge of your bed, planting a loving hand on your leg. You whine, your body feels cold, but your forehead is burning. "On my way home from work i'll pick up some medicine, can you hold out till then?" She asks, you sit up, resting on your elbows, nodding as she shoots you a warm smile. "Okay.. get some rest honey.." She coos as she walks out of your room.

You decided you could just sleep the day away, it wasn't like you had anything else to do anyway. Finally there was a day where you could take it easy, and you didn't mind. The only sour part was you couldn't see your friends as school. Well, friend. You only had one solid friend that wasn't Dustin, and that was Eddie. It started off as you being his tutor, but one day he brought his D&D book to school, and instead of studying you spent the whole hour talking about his campaigns. The rest is history, now you help him with school and you guys are attached at the hip.

Once Dustin got to high school, you helped him get into Hellfire with Lucas and Mike, which in turn brought you guys closer. You always felt safe with Eddie, there wasn't a thing you couldn't say, except maybe that you liked him. You just cherished him so much that you couldn't bare to put any wedges between you guys. In your heart you already missed him, even though you saw him at school yesterday.

You knew you had it bad for him, but you needed a distraction, so with your new found free day you just decided to cuddle up and read. For your birthday a few months back, Eddie bought you the whole series of Lord Of The Rings, his personal favorite. "No better time than now.." You mutter, your words feeling like fire on your throat. You get all of the books piled up next to you on your bed.

After reading for a long while you're almost halfway through the first book, but you feel your eyelids become heavier. After a while you allow your body to rest, you drift off with the book still in your hands.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where is she?" Eddie pesters Dustin at the lunch table as soon as he approaches with Mike. Dustin stares at him, "Where is sh- oh, you mean my sister? " Dustin says sarcastically. "I mean my best friend shit head.." Eddie snaps in response, "Is she okay?" He asks, his voice sounding concerned as his knee anxiously bounces up and down.

Dustin rolled his eyes as he settled in his seat, "She's fine, just sick with the flu, she'll be fine in a few days." He said, taking a bite of his food. "Eddie, why can't you just admit that you're in love with my sister?" Dustin finally asks, causing Eddie to choke on his drink. He coughs into oblivion as he catches his breath. "I..I am not.. in love with.. y/n." He croaks out a bit at a time.

"Oh spare me Eddie, she lights up your world, you're just too scared to admit it! I see the way you look at her, she's gone one day and you're a nervous wreck!" He rambles, knowing he's right. Eddie huffs, knowing he's caught, "Okay, and? It's not like she feels the same.." Eddie mutters. "Well, do you know that for sure?" Dustin asks, causing Eddie to shake his head. "Then drive me home and come see her, maybe it'll help, plus, you're probably the only person she'd want to see right now." He says with a small laugh, causing Eddie to smile.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You wake up from your long dream to the front door opening and slamming shut. With a huff you look at your clock, 3:37pm. Not caring enough to see who it was, you just turned back over, your back facing the door.

"Just go in and tell her Eddie." You faintly hear Dustin's voice from the hall as two sets of footprints approach your door. You decide to pretend to be asleep, so you could scare them when they came in. "Dustin, I don't think I can do this.." Eddie's voice sounding soft and uneasy, catching you off guard.

When the door creaks open, you hear the familiar sound of Eddie's belt chains hitting one another as he walks in, you don't move a muscle. "Dustin.. she's asleep.." He whispers to the door. "Then wake her stupid! If you like her as much as you say, you have to tell her." He whispers loudly as Eddie shushes him, closing the door quickly.

It falls silent, and you know Eddie's eyes are on you, your heart feels like it's racing. "I don't think I could if I tried.." Eddie muttered in frustration, walking towards the bed. "What the.. Heh, guess she finally caved." He says, picking up a book, smiling as he flips through the pages. Suddenly you feel the weight shift as he planted himself on his bed, right beside you.

"I wish there was an easier way to tell you y/n.. You're everything I think about.. Even more than music and Hellfire." He starts to ramble, "I mean, you were out of school once and I practically fell apart. I'm not my best unless you're there.. I love you, I've been in love with you, y/n." He finishes, putting his hands over his face in shame.

Little did he know, he just told you everything.

After a while, you notice all noises from Eddie have ceased, you pick your head up and notice he's laying on top of your sheets in just his shirt and jeans, passed out. I guess admitting feelings can take a lot from a guy. You let yourself let out a small giggle as you turn over, to face him. You couldn't bare the thought of getting him sick, so you just reached out your hand, placing it on top of his as you close your eyes once more.

You feel yourself being tugged and when you come to, Eddie is lifting you over to be in his arms, wrapping his strong, toned arms around you as he kisses your head. You rest peacefully on Eddie's chest, his heartbeat was unsteady, knowing he felt nervous. You lifted your head, pretending like it was the first time you had woken up. "Shit.. I totally woke you, sorry y/n.. how are you feeling?" Eddie stumbles over his words. You smiled at him, "It's okay Eds.. I'm okay, just a little sick." Your voice hoarse and scratchy.

"You poor thing.." Eddie says, petting your hair gently. "Eds, you know I love hanging but, why are you here?" You ask. Eddie immediately looked nervous, and you thought he was going to finally tell you, but instead he shrugged it off. "Oh, ya know, Dustin told me you were sick, I had to make sure you were okay." Words falling out of his mouth as he tries to piece together a story.

He smiles at you nervously, but can tell you're not buying it, finally, he caves in. "Okay, fine.. look y/n, you and I have been friends for a long time.. and I wouldn't want to ruin it." He says shakily. "You're like, one of the most important people to me, and I guess I just didn't, I didn't, um.." He stutters, feeling choked up. He turns his head away from you in embarrassment, "I didn't want you to be mad, or upset, but I'm like, I mean i've been-" He's cut off by your hand turning his head back to you.

Almost in sync, your lips lock. You can taste the cigarettes and cherry cola on his breath, but it was the sweetest taste you've ever had. You pull away, taking a second to absorb the moment. When you open your eyes Eddie is staring at you, dumbfounded.

"I love you too, Eddie, I have been, since the day I met you." You whisper back, a smile creeping up on his face as he brings you in for one more deep kiss. "Eddie.." You pout as you pull away, "I don't want to get you sick.." You whine, causing Eddie to chuckle. He wraps his arms back tightly around you, peppering kisses all over your face and head.

"Worth it.." Eddie mutters in a singsong voice, earning a laugh from the both of you. "..so.. does that mean I can make you, like, my girlfriend..?" he asks hesitantly. You give him a gentle smile, "I think I'd like that." you reply, resting your head back on his chest. He squeezes you tight, a feeling of relief washing over the both of you. You begin to talk about the book and his day, he rambles about how much he's wanted to tell you about his feelings for you.  You're listening, but your eyelids grow heavier, he notices his and just strokes your hair gently, letting you rest there until you drift off again.