59: It All Comes Down to This

Jeremy

With sprinkles falling from a dark and cloudy sky, Marvin was pretty unsure if he'd be able to drive the car. Once he was ready to get in the driver's seat, he claimed that his eyesight was starting to get blurry. My confidence in him was dying quick. Everything was on the line. A thought entered my head. Maybe it would be best if I did the driving. Of course, that would mean that I would end up in the future. If that was the case, how would I get back? Would the racecar have enough energy to bring me back? Maybe it was best to trust in Marvin. Everyone else seemed like they were trusting him as we all said goodbye to him.

"Take care of Jeremy," demanded Marvin who gave Hailey a tight hug.

"I will," she replied as the hug was still going strong. "I will." The hug came to an end as she placed a hand on his arm and slowly felt it. "I can't believe that I'm going to be your mother. Like, I wish we could've hung out more." Tears began escaping her.

"Don't worry, we'll have plenty of time," Marvin joked with a smile as he wiped away a couple of those tears from his own mother. This was quite a moment I never expected. 

"I can't wait." With a bright smile, more tears found a way out. "Like, honestly, I've been thinking of a lot of questions, but I guess all those questions will get answered."

"If it helps, a few of my questions about you guys were answered on this trip." The boy smiled as they both chuckled and left her with a kiss on the forehead.

Poor Emma wouldn't be able to say goodbye to her own daughter. I'm sure she was wishing she knew sign language. As their goodbye would have to be put on the back burner, I was the last one Marvin said goodbye to.

"You sure you can do this?" I asked. "If you want, I can do the driving for you."

"Thanks for the offer, but we're good. You just make sure you enjoy your life with Hailey." With that, my son gave me a hug and found himself collapsing to the ground.

"Are you alright?" My feet immediately kneeled on the ground to make sure he was fine. He wasn't. All Marvin could do was cough and it looked like his headache was returning. "Marvin, are you okay? You sure you don't want me to do the driving?"

With no verbal response, the keys were handed over to me. Just like that. The very keys that the mission depended on were in my hands. A few lumps developed in my throat as swallowing became a bit difficult. Pain in my chest also came about. All of this depended on me. On me. Dang it, if I only wasn't so persistent in volunteering myself.

Marvin put himself in the backseat with Melissa. Time was extremely limited at this point. This seemed risky. What was I doing? Would this be the last time I saw Hailey or Emma? So much doubt was opening the door that led to my brain. 

Boom! Loud thunder came from the sky. Along with the thunder, the sprinkles turned into hard rain that poured against the ground. Great, I would be a wet driver in the car.

"Jeremy, wait!" cried out Hailey right before I got into the car. Something about the pouring rain made her look hotter than ever. Her wet dress perfected her breast. All my eyes wanted to do was look at that body of hers. She grabbed both my hands and showed me a smile. She was hiding in those crocodile tears that she had just moments ago.

"Hailey," was all I could say wanting to cry with her.

"Are you sure about this? Like, are you sure that you'll make it back? What if you don't?"

"Looks like someone is worried about the future." We both smiled as she knew that I was trying to lighten the mood. "If I don't make it, just know that I love you. Like, you're literally the most amazing girl I ever met. I'm glad we got the chance to hang out this week."

"Me too."

Without another thought, our lips fiercely came against each other against the rain that fell on us. We couldn't keep off of each other. It was as if the world were about to come to an end. In a strange way, the world coming to an end was a strong possibility at this point. Or at least our world.

Taking my lips away from hers was by far the hardest thing I ever had to do. There was a mission and time was ticking down. Once we were all in the car, I realized that the AC in the car was strong. Without a heater, it was going to take longer to dry off. This was going to suck a lot.

"You guys ready for this?" I asked as I remembered that Melissa couldn't hear a word of what I said. Of course, it didn't matter if anyone was actually ready. This was it. "Alright, let's do this." I buckled up and put the key into the ignition. Taking a few breaths, I closed my eyes and scratched my ear. "So, I'm basically attempting to crash into the clock tower?"

"Correct," replied Marvin. But the lightning strike will stop you from crashing. But that's if you crash exactly at midnight and not a second more."

Yes, I wanted to ask more questions, but at this point, I was basically stalling. Taking another breath, the stick was put on the drive and my foot pressed against the gas as the car began to move faster and faster. Chills blazed against me with my hands and arms shaking. Everyone was depending on me. The people in this car were depending on me. How hard could this be?

Only 1 more chapter! Much love if you stuck this far. Please comment and vote! Maybe share this story with a friend?

Will Jeremy successfully make it to the future and get back home?