49: Time Capsule

Jeremy

Friday. It was finally Friday. It had been a crazy and eventful week. Definitely something out of the ordinary. Who knew so much could happen in the span of a week? There was no way anything else could top everything that happened in these three days. And even though it had been a crazy week, I was beyond grateful to have Hailey by my side.

That Friday at school, everything was moving as usual. The only two things different were Hailey and Ted weren't together anymore and Emma appeared to be ditching again. After spotting Emily, she too had no idea what was going on with Emma. Apparently, she called her house a dozen times last night, but nobody answered. Emily also considered stopping by her house to see if she was okay, but that also didn't happen. We could only hope that we would see her at the event that night.

With the sun going down on that cloudy and humid evening, I arrived with Hailey in her car next to a series of other cars that were bound to get dirty from the dirt they parked on. A large group of seniors had gathered in the empty field near the clock tower. Pretty much every senior in our class had shown up. I couldn't believe the huge box that lay in the massive hole that lay in the ground waiting for everyone to throw in their special memories.

Many were gathering next to the large fire circle where s'mores were being roasted and songs were being sung. A couple of people were setting up equipment so actual music could be played later. Everybody including Hailey seemed to be in a joyous mood. It didn't take long for her friends to show up and I actually stayed by her side to socialize with them. Ted was thankfully not one of those people in our circle.

After about ten minutes, Emma was spotted. She was with some nerdy-looking guy dressed somewhat futuristic. With Hailey doing most of the talking, I excused myself from the circle and made my way to her. By the time I reached her, her nerdy friend made his way somewhere else.

"Hey Emma," I greeted hoping she wouldn't be mad at me. One right hand was placed on my left shoulder and pinched it a few times. My tongue also licked a few of my teeth.

With a smile and a deep breath, she greeted me back. "Hey, Jeremy." She gave me a quick hug. "Feels like it's been a million years. Hasn't it?" 

"Yeah, guess you could say that. It's been a weird week."

We made our way near the fire to an area that wasn't as congested with young adults. A couple of rocks were available for us to sit on. There was a strong desire for a s'more.

"So, how are things going with Hailey?" asked Emma who picked up a leaf off the ground.

"Things are moving kind of fast." What information could I share with her? This was a little strange. "Um, we actually kissed. I think we're actually kind of a couple now." Emma gave no response and threw the leaf into the fire. "Listen, I know I've been a pretty crappy friend lately. And I feel terrible about it. I mean, we've always been there for each other and everything."

"No," she interrupted placing a hand on my knee and patting it a couple of times. "It's not your fault. Part of it is my fault." She sat there for a moment to think about what she would say next. Scratching her head and letting out a sigh, she spoke again. "To be honest, I've been kind of jealous of your crush on Hailey. You've always been such a great friend. You were there when my daddy died at a time when I felt really broken. And you also always protected me against Ted. After a while, I guess I developed feelings for you and it hurt me so much when I knew you didn't feel the same way. Maybe I've been stuck in the past and need to look to the future."

Wow. She had feelings for me? I always kind of suspected it but never thought of it to be true. In some ways, I almost wished I could feel those same feelings for her, but it wasn't possible. My heart was stuck on Hailey. It would be leading us to marriage in the future.

"Hey," I began taking her hand and squeezing it. "No matter what, we'll always be friends. I'll always be there for you when you need me. And if I'm being honest, you've helped me through some of the toughest times in my life. I'm not even sure where I'd be if weren't for you and your Dr. Suess Book." Just like that, my lips lightly kissed the hand that I had my grip on.

Emma quickly returned the favor with a quick peck on the lips. Unapologetically, she smiled and squeezed my hand. The favor was returned with a smile as she blushed and looked at the ground. For a brief moment after, my eyes gave attention to the fire.

The sun was completely down with the moon being out. Our class president was able to get our attention with the microphone which was next to the hole. One by one, we began throwing our memories in the hole. Some people used the microphone to share a personal story about the memory they were giving up while others didn't. After about twenty people, Hailey made her way up to the microphone. Interesting enough, I was able to spot Ted among the crowd who looked pissed.

"Hey everyone," she began. "Like, it's amazing being with all of you here tonight." She licked her lips as it looked like she was about to cry. "Um, back in eighth grade, I joined you guys as a new student. I was scared and felt alone. Hector was my first friend that I made when I moved here." Hector wasn't too far off as he stood and quickly waved.

"He encouraged me to sing with him for the veterans on Veteran's Day. And I did. Knowing I had a friend like Hector really helped me. And like, the VFW also gave me a medal for singing." The girl quickly looked at the medal from her pocket. "This memory brings a lot of good and bad memories. Like, I'm always reminded of how many people care. And like, I'm always reminded of the boy I met that day. Rather not really get into that story. But anyway, it's time to let this memory go and move on."

She threw her medal into the hole and allowed the next person to come up. With Emma by my side, we made our way to Hailey and sat with her on one of the chairs. She greeted me with a kiss.

Looks like Emma has made peace. Thanks for all your support. Don't forget to comment and vote!

What would you put in a time capsule?

Thought's on Hailey's item and her speech?