41- The Day After Last Night

Jeremy

Morning arrived like an unexpected thief. After whatever happened between Emma and me, there was nothing but confusion. What was going on with Emma? Yes, I knew we were slowly drifting apart, but there was definitely something more happening with her. Why did she hate Hailey so much? Trying to understand, I stayed in the junkyard for about another hour. All of the junk brought back memories. In some ways, I kind of missed the days that Emma and I spent working on the racecar. Of course, my tiredness took over and it was officially time to get sleep. No way I could go two nights without any sleep.

...

With Thursday on the horizon, no time was wasted in getting ready for the day. Once ready, I realized that Melissa was still missing. Not to mention, the device was also missing. This would likely bother me in the back of my mind for the entire day. Without my bike, I would have to wait for the bus. Emma was nowhere in sight. Was she not taking the bus? Maybe she would be late?

Emma

Getting up this morning was a challenge. Once the alarm went off, the snooze button was hit a couple of times. When I was able to get up, nearly twenty minutes were spent in the shower. My stomach had no desire for food and skipped breakfast. Heading out the door, I discovered myself sitting in the racecar and just sat there for a while.

"Hey there stranger," greeted Marvin who made his way back from wherever he was with a toolbox in his grasp. "I take it you're not going to school today?" 

"No, I guess I'm not." It quickly dawned on me that I was not on the bus. My mind seemed to be out of it that morning. "Guess I'll be here all day. Maybe I'll also be here tomorrow."

"I take it you're having problems with Jeremy?" Marvin was busy digging through the toolbox. "What's going on now?" A weird-looking tool that I wasn't familiar with left the toolbox.

"Jeremy and Hailey hung out after school. They spent the evening together."

"And I'm guessing that this is bothering you?" No answer came out of me. "And I'm assuming you know this happened because you guys met up last night after he returned?" Again, there was no response from me. "You got mad at him and told him how you felt?

"Well, no," I responded surprised about how accurate Marvin was. "Sometimes I think I have feelings for him, but I'm not sure. But I could've easily kissed him last night." A pause was taken to sigh. "Comparing myself to Hailey was probably not the smartest move."

"Yeah, maybe not. But if you're comparing yourself to Hailey, you clearly have feelings for Jeremy. You like a guy you can't have. Part of the reason you're stuck in the past and afraid to move on." Marvin could sense that I didn't want to talk about this. In turn, he changed the subject.  "Well, I guess you can spend the day helping me with this car. It'll get your mind off things."

"Whatever happened to Dr. McButters? Are you still looking for him? I mean, you got your feet back. Why are you wanting to work on this car and not look for him?

"Yes, I'm still looking for him." The toolbox was placed in the back of the car. "But last night, I got my thumb back and lost the other one. Things are a little weird right now. For now, I need to work on this car. But I know that I'll be able to find Dr. McButters sooner or later.

Jeremy

Getting onto the bus, I forgot to check my vibrant smile at the door. Butts took notice, smiled, and lightly chuckled with an eye roll. I could only wonder if he knew that things happened between Me and Hailey. He probably did. With Emma not on the bus, she wasn't in our usual spot to save me a seat. In turn, I found a seat at the front of the bus next to Butts.

"You seem happy this morning," stated Butts. "What's going on with you?"

"Hailey crashed into my bike after school. And we went on a little date to this ice cream shop and the beach. We spent the evening together. Probably could've spent the entire night with each other."

"I see," responded Butts as he spat out a few sunflower shells. "Well, it certainly looks like things are looking up. And you're stepping out of your comfort zone. Looks like that cross I gave you helped you out after all." A few more shells escaped his mouth. "Too bad about your bike though. That piece of junk was on its last legs. Guess you'll have to buy a new one."

During the bus ride, I spotted a speeding convertible with an open top that caught my attention. My eyes thought they saw Melissa as the driver? Was that Melissa? She was driving a car? That had to be Melissa! Wanting to ask Butts to speed up, I knew he would never go for that. It would be no use. Instead, I had to watch the car speed past us. Maybe Melissa was on her way to school. Maybe she actually did remember everything.

Another few minutes later, we passed by an accident at an intersection. A car rear-ended another car. Crap, it was the speeding car that did the crashing. Did Melissa get into an accident? In the short time, we were at the stoplight, I couldn't spot her in the car or outside. Maybe my eyes were just playing tricks on me. Did I get enough sleep last night? Perhaps not.

Once we got to school, I was the first one off the bus as Hailey was spotted at the front talking to her friends. Who would've guessed that this girl could look so vibrant and prettier than ever after last night? She looked amazing in her floral bucket hat. From the distance that she was spotted, it looked as if she had gotten her beauty sleep. Did she actually get a full night of sleep? Impossible when I barely got any sleep. It didn't matter. There she was in all her glory waiting for me. And this time, I wouldn't be too nervous to approach and talk to her.

Seems like things are looking up for Jeremy. Thanks for reading. Be sure to comment and vote!

Should Emma confess her feelings for Jeremy?

Where's Melissa?

Will Jeremy be too nervous to talk to Hailey?