32- Blue Ocean's Ice Cream

Jeremy

After listening to more of the new Blink 182 Album while shaking our heads and also playing air guitar, we were getting closer to the ice cream shop. The closer we got, the more I started spotting seagulls and Hailey decided to turn down the music.

"I thought you said the ice cream shop was across town," I stated.

"It is across town. Just not our town." She began laughing while checking herself out in the mirror.

"So, when you said it was across town, you meant it was across another town." For some reason, it was hard to not find the humor in all of this. Clearly, Hailey had an interesting way with words. Of course, with the way Hailey was speeding, it was hard to tell where we were going in the first place. 

"Exactly," the girl couldn't help but release a giant smile on her face. "But like, this is the town that I was born and raised in before we moved in seventh grade. My family and I went all the time to the ice cream shop that I'm taking you to."

About another minute later, we arrived at Blue Ocean's Ice Cream Shop. Looking at the building, it was apparent that this would be a beach-themed ice cream shop. Once out of the car, my nose could smell the refreshing scent of saltwater from a far distance. How close were we to the beach?

"There's actually a beach about twenty minutes away from here," stated Hailey as if she had the psychic ability to read my mind. "It's a pretty nice beach."

Walking into the building, I immediately felt like I was on some sort of ship. There were nets all over the place. The cash register was half of a boat as the guy taking orders was dressed in a white sailor suit. Something about this place felt special. I already knew I would enjoy being here. Clearly, Hailey had good taste.

While she used the restroom, I spotted something on the wall. It was a picture of what looked like my grandfather dressed in a sailor suit. The man almost looked like me. Although, I had never seen a young picture of him as I always knew him as an old man. Could it be? Was this the ice cream shop that he owned?

When Hailey came out of the bathroom, nobody was in line and we were able to order. Interestingly enough, there were only eight options. Hailey didn't even let me order as she ordered both of us the Deep Blue Ice Cream.

"Trust me. Like, this is literally the best flavor. You'll love me after you try this."

I took her word, but I took the initiative to make sure we both had triple scoops which of course was more expensive. Hailey stuck her tongue out at me and paid the fifty dollars. Once we had our cones, we found a seat outside where we could enjoy the smell of the saltwater breeze that was in the air. The breeze somehow made the perfume on her skin all the more pleasant.

"You know," I began. "There's a picture on the wall of this young guy who looks like my grandpa. My grandpa actually owned an ice cream shop back in the day before he sold it. I'm kind of wondering if this is the place that he owned."

"It's a possibility," she chuckled as her tongue took the first lick of the cool blue treat. I still had yet to take my first lick. "My daddy keeps telling me about the time that my Uncle Jeff bought an Ice Cream Shop. Wouldn't it be crazy though? An ice cream shop that runs in both our families."

Hailey took a few more licks while I finally took the opportunity to give my treat a try. To my surprise, it tasted like cotton candy. While I've had plenty of cotton candy in the past, words couldn't describe how amazing this flavor of cotton candy felt. It actually tasted like the real thing. It didn't hurt that there were actually pieces of the fluffy treat mixed in the ice cream. The perfect melting sensation could be felt throughout my tastebuds. Thank goodness I suggested we get three scoops. And thank goodness that Hailey was willing to drive me all the way out here.

"How is it?" She asked with a vibrant smile and blue lips that were beginning to form.

"This is amazing." The licking couldn't stop. "Does your uncle still own this place?"

Ms. Blue Lips laughed at the question. "He actually sold it to my Uncle Jessie, but it sounds like my daddy is trying to buy it from him." A quick pause was taken. "You know my daddy is actually in real estate and has like a million timeshares. He owns a crapload of properties. There's this one house that we all love. It's in Florida. We go there for Christmas every year." With a happy sigh, she continued speaking. "You know, it would be totally amazing if you got to see this place. You would definitely love it."

"Maybe, I can come during this Christmas before Y2K destroys the world," I joked. In response, Hailey snorted almost dropping one of her scoops. Of course, my mind instantly went to that video I saw on that device. According to that video, we spent every Christmas at that house until it was sold. We also meant me. I too was spending my holiday with the girl right in front of me.

Once Hailey saved the scoop, she had an old memory about the house to share.

"As a little girl, my daddy would always tell me stories about the alligators in Florida. Every time he told me a story; I would always want to pet one, but he always told me how dangerous they were. Like always, I would get really mad at him. When I was twelve, he took me to a petting zoo. Like, there was a crapload of alligators and I actually got to pet one. Actually, I got to pet all of them. That was literally the best day I had with my daddy. It was one of the rare times that we said I love you to each other."

Tears were coming out of her eyes. They were tears of happiness. With the way she told her story, there was something special about this girl. At that moment, I no longer felt intimidated by her. Something inside of me wanted to hug her for comfort as I felt like there was more to the story that hadn't been said. Maybe when the time was right.

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed the date. Have some ice cream and be sure to comment and vote.

What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?

Could Jeremy change his future with Hailey?