51: Reunion

Jeremy

Hailey and I were officially on our tenth s'more as Hector and Emma seemed to be having a discussion that involved some laughter. Emily was also with them as it seemed like they had become The Three Amigos. Steve Martin would be proud. We took turns feeding each other the delicious treat. Frankly, we could've done this all night. Hailey loved the way I was getting the sticky marshmallows stuck on my lips. She was mere moments away from giving me a kiss and getting that white goodness stuck on her. 

"Melissa?" Yes, my own eyes had spotted Melissa who was trying not to be spotted.

"Long time, no see," chimed in Hailey. "Like girl, come sit with us."

She smiled and made her way over to us and just sat there without saying a word while licking her lips a few times.

"You want a s'more?" asked Hailey. Without a response, she gave up the s'more that she was about to feed me and handed it off to Melissa. In turn, she scarfed it down like a hungry wolf.

"Looks like you guys are together now," Melissa commented once done with her snack. "Clearly, I trained Jeremy well that night in the closet."

Hailey laughed and finally gave me a kiss leaving Melissa to clap with applause.

"What are we cheering about?" asked Emma who joined us as Emily and Hector followed. "Wait a minute," a large grin took over her face as she placed her sight on me. "Jeremy, weren't you making out with Melissa in the closet the other night? This must be awkward for you.

We all laughed except Emily who did not get to experience the game we played at the party. She just sat there confused with an empty soda can, but she did her best to smile as the can was thrown into the fire and her attention was elsewhere.

"Marvin?" blurted out Emma whose attention was definitely not with us. Turns out, Marvin was the nerdy-looking futuristic guy.

Marvin joined us as he had a water bottle in his head. "Looks like that Ted guy left," he commented. Guess that means I'm safe here the rest of the night." The laughter quickly died down as Hailey broke her stick without realizing it. Another life made miserable by Ted.

"Great, what the hell did Ted do now this time?" she asked.

Little did I expect Hailey to get so aggravated, but the news caused her to stand and take a few breaths. Her back was turned from us. It seemed like she almost needed a moment to herself. That moment died once she bumped into none other than Butts. Yes, Bobby Butts the bus driver. Hailey gave him a hug and sat down as Butts also found a seat with the rest of the gang.

"Sorry, I'm late guys. Something came up. Long story." He took a sigh of relief as he looked a little worn out. "So how was the event? Sounds like it went well."

Before any of us had the chance to respond, Marvin stood up without hesitation and did the talking.

"Dr. McButters?" he asked. "It can't be." It was as if the boy had seen a ghost or a celebrity. What the heck was going on with this guy? "It is. It's Dr. McButters."

"Excuse me?" asked Butts in great confusion while rubbing his palms together.

"You're Dr. McButters the famous scientist." He turned towards Melissa. "You see it right? I can't be crazy. That's Dr. McButters. I'm not crazy!"

Melissa stood up and placed a hand on his shoulder to calm him down. Once he was able to calm down, Melissa had Marvin take a seat so she could do the talking.

"Guys, this is going to sound crazy, but we're from the future. About a couple decades from now." Everyone except Emma found this statement to be humorous. It became clear to her that she wasn't going to be taken seriously. In response, she pulled something out of her pocket. It was the device. The device that I found and somehow lost. "Alright," she sighed. "This is an iPhone. It's a cell phone that can make calls, text, take pictures, surf the web, and a crapload of other stuff. Jeremy actually found my iPhone on Tuesday and learned a few things about his future which I won't share."

She knew we would all want proof and was able to deliver on it. About a minute later, she found a video on Facebook. It was a video of our very own high school graduation. Sure, I wanted to be surprised, but after all the shocking discoveries about my future this week and seeing how it was all likely to come true, this all made sense. Emma didn't seem too shocked by this either. She must've made some discoveries of her own.

"Butts," Melissa continued. "In the future, you're actually a scientist who goes by the name Dr. McButters. You'll do a lot of research on different things like Lithium. Believe it or not, you actually sent Marvin here to the future to warn yourself about an event in which a terrorist group tries to kill you over some technology involving Lithium and other dangerous chemicals. But like the idiot that I am, I followed Marvin into the future as there was only room for one person in the time car. The time car is also destroyed and we need some extra help with some other stuff."

Once she finished explaining everything, everyone sat there in silence. This was definitely a lot to take in. Part of me wondered what would happen if Hailey found out about our future. Hopefully, she wouldn't ask any questions. Perhaps Melissa was smarter than I realized.

"It makes sense," announced Butts who stood up. "I'm actually taking classes on AOL right now. Taking quite a few science courses at the moment." He almost seemed disappointed by the news. "Guess my love of weapons never goes away."

Crazy. It gets crazier! Hope you enjoyed it. Don't forget to comment and vote!

Thoughts on Butts being Dr. McButters?