25- No Ordinary Bus Ride

Emma

I eventually got some sleep late last night while sitting in the car. Before I got ready for school, Marvin had apparently lost both of his feet. What was going on with him? Why was he losing body parts? So many questions were arising. The bus would hopefully serve as a great distraction. If the bus couldn't do that, Jeremy probably could. Sure, it would be a negative distraction considering all that had happened yesterday, but it would be a distraction. Just like that, the boy found a seat next to me. Maybe being distracted wasn't all that bad.

"Hey," he greeted putting his head against the seat in front of him. It looked like Jeremey didn't get much sleep. In reality, most seniors probably didn't. Some were likely hungover. Was today going to be a low attendance day? Why even bother coming to school on a day like this in the first place?

"Hey," was my reply back. "What's up with you?" A couple of my fingers played with the boy's hair. They didn't want to let go. That hair was pure Heaven. Every girl's dream. 

"Eh, didn't get any sleep last night. I was up the entire night doing some research on schools for next fall." Of course, he did. What else would he do?"

"Well, I certainly hope you're not too tired to come to my showcase tonight." Crap, I completely had forgotten about my showcase until that very moment. Why did I volunteer for that? Was it too late to back out of it now? If Emily could do it, why couldn't I?

"Showcase?" My statement had him pulling his head off the seat and looking at me. Wow, those eyelids somehow aged his beautiful face. "You're talking about that showcase for your drama class?"

"Yes, you know that showcase? The one you did last year when you took drama?"

"Oh yeah," he nodded. "The one where some of us volunteered to perform monologues, duologues, and one-acts. What are you performing tonight?"

"It's a monologue from that movie Clueless. Did you ever see the movie?"

"That's the one with Alicia Silverstone? I've seen it at Blockbuster, but never rented it. Not really a fan of the actress."

What? How could someone not like Alicia Silverstone? She's an amazing actress. More people needed to give her a chance. For the next couple of minutes, neither of us said anything.

The more I sat next to Jeremy, the more the memories of last night came flooding back. Hailey was his future. That stupid Hailey. Was that piece of crap still in his pocket? Was that leg still blood red?

"How's your leg?" the question came right out of my mouth without much thought.

Jeremy slowly lifted up his pants leg. To both our shock, the blood leg was gone. It was back to its normal color. It was as if nothing had happened last night.

"Crap," blurted Jeremy. "What the hell?" For a tired boy, he was definitely awake by now. After padding both pockets, Jeremy's eyes began to widen. It was as if he had seen a ghost."

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Um, I left the music thing back in my room." For a brief moment, part of me felt like a cheerleader. Every inch of me wanted to jump and do cartwheels across the aisle. We wouldn't have to worry about that piece of stupid crap today. "Oh crap, I left it in my room! This is not good! Melissa was sleeping in my room. She could easily find it. Oh crap. Not good. What if she finds it?" The dude was moments away from hyperventilating. Guess that solved the problem of being dead tired.

Looking at the window, my eyes quickly spotted something interesting. Melissa was riding on Jeremy's bike. Was she on her way to school? What was she doing? Maybe that thing was in her pocket. Something in me doubted that Melissa would stumble on it. And if she did, it's unlikely she would want to take it. But there was certainly something else she wanted to steal.

"Uh, Jeremy, you might want to look out the window."

No time was wasted in doing so. All he could do was laugh in fear. At that moment, I had regretted mentioning this. Was that actually Melissa to begin with? Maybe he was better off not knowing. Of course, all this had Jeremy out of his seat and finding a seat close to the bus driver.

Jeremy

"Hey Jer," greeted Butts who was spitting sunflower seeds and licking those lips of his after spitting out each shell. "You doing alright after last night?"

"I'm fine. Are you able to stop the bus right now? I need to get out."

"Why? We're almost there. You planning on ditching or something." Yeah, Butts would never let me out of the bus. Maybe I was going a little crazy. Maybe it was the tired talking.

"No, Melissa is on my bike. Can we at least let her in? Maybe I can get my bike back?"

For a few seconds, it seemed that Butts was ignoring me and wanted nothing more than to get to the school. At a stop sign, he spotted the girl driving my bike on the side of the road. She too had stopped. It was hard to tell if the device was potentially in her pocket.

"Yes, I see her," the man began to laugh. How was this funny? "Looks like she's headed for school. You'll be fine my boy. You'll be fine."

"But why can't we stop the bus and let her in? I mean, that bike was expensive and I wouldn't want to lose it."

"First of all, your bike is falling apart and is a piece of cow turd. Your bike can't be that expensive." Couldn't argue with that. "Second, we're about to drive into the school parking lot. You really want me to stop and let her in for thirty seconds?"

"Well can you at least drive faster so we can get out faster?"

"Also not happening."

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed this chapter. It's was quite a drive. lol

Have you ever had anything stolen for you?

Why is Melissa on Jeremy's bike?