29- Clueless

Emma

"So, okay," I began practicing my monologue on the stage being watched by our drama teacher and peers. "Like right now, for example, the Haitians need to come to America.

"Alright cut," instructed the teacher as he stood up from his seat while scratching his head. "I'm not feeling it. I'm assuming that you've actually seen Clueless before? When was the last time you watched it?"

"Over Christmas Break." At this point, all I wanted to do was get this night over with. Why did two periods have to be combined? 

"Really?" Out came a large sigh. Ms. Martinez, it would've done you good to have actually watched the movie a few dozen times these last couple weeks." He turned to face the audience. "Has anyone watched this movie recently? Anyone at all.

Only one person raised their hand. I should've seen it coming. It was none other than Hailey. She claimed that she watched it again a week ago. Because of that, she was invited up to the stage. Hailey stood next to me waiting for something to happen. In that time, a fist slowly formed that nobody noticed. In the time that we waited, the temptation to punch this girl in the face emerged. That nose needed a good smacking. Someday it would happen.

"Alright Ms. Romero, what can you tell me about the movie Clueless?"

"Well," she began with a vibrant smile. "The movie takes place in Beverly Hills at a high school. The movie centers around a girl named Cher who is wealthy and popular. Cher is also a matchmaker who thinks she can get people to start dating and fall in love."

"Excellent, and would you consider this Cher character to be someone vain? Perhaps the money and popularity have gone through that little head of hers? Also, what's going on in this scene in which this monologue is performed?"

"Conceited? Yes, I would say so. Like, she is definitely full of herself. Like, she's an airhead who loves to hear herself talk. And in this scene, Cher is giving a speech in front of her class."

"So now that we know that Cher is rich, well-loved, and full of herself, would you be able to show Emma your version of this Cher?"

Of course, Hailey agreed to it. Who the freak did she think she was? My voice wanted to scream at the top of my lungs. Was it too late to punch her? If only it were possible. If only.

Hailey positioned herself as she put both hands on her hips and quickly struck her hair. "So, okay, like right now, for example, the Haitians need to come to America." The girl had done something to her voice. It was almost nasally. My eyes also caught a quick notice of what looked like a light scar on her arm. "But some people are all, what about the strains on our resources?" Was there actually gum in her mouth? If there wasn't, she was an expert at fake chewing. "But it's like when I had this garden party for my father's birthday right?" The more this monologue went on, the more Hailey got really into this role. Like wow, she had rocked this monologue.

"Bravo," shouted our drama teacher. "Bravo! Ms. Romero, why are you not in tonight's showcase? Hell, why weren't you in any plays during your high school career?"

In response, Hailey began blushing. "I don't know Mr. Wayde. Guess I never really considered it. Not much of an actress and Ted was always keeping me busy."

Mr. Wayde began laughing to the point he almost tripped over his chair. "My dear Hailey, tonight is the perfect opportunity. You and Ted broke up. How would you like to take Emma's spot tonight as Cher?

A silence took over the entire auditorium as everyone waited for an answer. Did Mr. Wayde actually offer Hailey to take my spot? My own teacher didn't believe in me enough? Tears wanted to leave my eyes as my throat became irritated. I had to remember to breathe. The more I breathed, the greater the need was to pass out on the floor.

"I don't want to take the thunder away from Emma," the Cher expert declared. "This is her role and she deserves the chance to show herself tonight. But like, can I at least be the understudy or something?"

Yes, our teacher had a disappointed look on his face. He was ready on the spot to strip me of my role. What kind of teacher did something like that? Little did I realize that Hailey could be so generous. That generosity made me want to punch her less, but my thumb wanted to feel that scar. The real person who needed a good beating was Mr. Wayde. It would happen sooner or later. If only it could be sooner.

"Very well I suppose. You can be the understudy. But if you change your mind, let me know. Class dismissed. Everyone, please go practice for tonight!" Just like that, he snapped his fingers to dismiss us.

With everyone in the room leaving the auditorium, Hailey stood still on the stage next to me. None of me knew what to say. Somehow, we found ourselves sitting on the stage once the room was empty.

"How are you doing after last night?" she asked. "Jeremy got home safely?"

How did I end up not leaving the room? Why was I sitting next to Hailey? This was pretty weird and I'm sure Jeremy would be jealous that I got to spend time with his woman. 

"I'm doing alright. Feeling a lot of weird mixed emotions today. But yes, Jeremy did get home safely. Butts is a good man to take him home."

"I totally agree with that," she began giggling. "Totally agree. Like, I kind of wish I could've taken him home. But at least Butts got him home safely." All I could do was chuckle as the space between us got a little awkward. "Hey, you're going to do good tonight." My leg was patted. "Little word of advice, have fun with your role, and don't take it too seriously.

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed the chapter! Don't forget to comment and vote!

Have you seen the movie Clueless?

How do you feel about Hailey potentially stealing Emma's role?