56: What's Happening With Ted?

Emma

As the night went on, everyone seemed to be having a good time. Dances were to be had, pictures were to be taken at the booth, and laughter and conversation were to be shared. After spending all this time with Hector, I was beginning to regret not going on that date with him back in sixth grade. While at the punch table, I got to meet Aaron who was one of Hector's buddies. They met doing a group project back in freshman year. Aaron was a huge fan of sitcoms and was also part of the music club with Jeremy and Hector.

After a twenty-minute conversation about "Family Ties" and how great Michael J. Fox was, it was finally time to announce the prom royalty. The whole room grew silent as we all waited for the announcement on who would be king and queen. To my surprise, the prom king ended up being Hector. The boy rushed onto the stage to accept.

"And the prom queen is Hailey Romero," announced the speaker.

Hector and Hailey were both prom royalty? Sure, I knew everyone loved Hailey, but it never occurred to me that Hector was popular with the crowd. While everyone clapped and cheered, I spotted Ted from a distance not clapping. Heck, he threw his cup in the garbage and found himself kicking it to the floor. Nobody else seemed to notice it happening.

After about another ten minutes, the band began to play again as prom was nearing the end. Hailey and Hector made their way outside to get their pictures taken for the yearbook. With Emily finally next to me, we made our way towards Jeremy who was at the snack table collecting a few edibles on his plate.

"How's prom going for you?" She asked before we reached Jeremy. "Bet you never expected your prom date to be prom king, did you?" Emily chuckled as she took a sip of her punch.

"Yeah, never saw that one coming." For a brief second, I caught a glimpse of Ted slowly making his way toward Jeremy. It was obvious that his eyes were directly on the poor boy. "Who knows, I could end up dating the prom king."

We both laughed at the thought of that being an actual possibility.

"So, do you think there's a chance you could see yourself in a relationship with Hector?" She asked with curiosity that left me wondering about the actual possibilities.

"I don't know," my cheeks began to blush. "I mean, I guess there's a good chance. He seems like a nice guy. You know, we're actually going on a date tomorrow. He wants me to meet him at the park."

In a quick instant, Emily froze as she dropped her cup and screamed in excitement. It wasn't long before she jumped up and down.

"Dude, you're actually going on a date with him tomorrow? You have to give me every detail when it's over. You can't leave out one single freakin' detail."

Every detail? How much would there actually be to share? Just how big would this date be? That thought was put to the side as Ted actually made his way toward Jeremy. If Emily hadn't froze where she stood, we too could've made our way towards him by that point.

"You little piece of shit!" yelled Ted in great anger as he pushed Jeremy into the snack table which left some food to fall onto the ground. "Hailey was my girlfriend! She was my damn prom date! And I was supposed to be the prom king!" You took her away from me!

Not many people noticed what was going on as the music was a bit loud and the gym was a little bit dark. Maybe about ten people noticed with Emily and I included. Crap, my body just froze watching what was happening to Jeremy. A few knots in my stomach formed as my skin began to sweat. Some tears even escaped from my eyes. Jeremy was in trouble. Ted didn't hesitate to pick up Jeremy and throw him against the wall. Without thought, Jeremy received a punch to the gut.

"Break up with her!" Ted demanded. "Break up with her or I'll punch you again!"

Jeremy gave no response as Ted continued to yell at him. At this point, these threats seemed empty. Crap, I needed to help Jeremy. I couldn't just stand here and watch him suffer like this after all that he had done for me over the years. What was I supposed to do? What if the guy wanted to somehow rape me? Was it possible? Would Ted actually try and pull off something like that? Of course, this scene was starting to catch more attention. Ted probably wouldn't rape me. Taking a deep breath and saying a little prayer for guidance, something caught my sight. There was a banana on the floor.

A smile unexpectedly conquered my lips as I knew exactly what needed to be done. The knots in my stomach immediately vanished as I picked up the banana and unpeeled it. Just like that, I walked up to Ted with a full adrenaline rush. By this point, Jeremy had received a third punch and no blood.

"Hey, you little bitch!" my voice called out. Ted turned around like an idiot. Without another second wasted, the unpeeled banana was shoved into the bully's mouth. "Eat the damn banana you little shit head!" I cried out with my skin heating up. For a moment, it seemed like Ted was choking and fell to the floor with only moments away from crying. The growing crowd of about fifty people cheered in great applause. They cheered even more once my foot kicked Ted's private area a couple of times.

"How does it feel now to be the barf bag?" asked Jeremy who kicked his leg. Jeremy soon turned towards me and gave me a hug. "Thank you."

This was definitely a crazy night. Who knew I had it in myself to stand up to Ted? Little would I ever expect for Hailey to also thank me, but once she found out, I was her personal hero."

Wow! Who knew Emma could stand up to Ted? Hope you liked this chapter. Please comment and vote.

How do you feel about Emma standing up to Ted?