Chapter 31 Pop Goes the Question

Gabriella's eyes never left Brandon's face all through the journey back home on the train. She had returned from her meeting with Desmond the day before, stupefied to find her mother and boyfriend getting along like a house on fire, sharing good-natured laughs over tales of Gabriella's embarrassing childhood moments – something she would talk with her mother about later. Right now, she was still baffled to find Brandon in a good mood after an evening alone with her mother.

"How did you do that? I leave you for two hours with her and come back to find you both chortling over anecdotes and lemon meringue pie! Two days ago you were crying on my shoulder trying to impress her."

"We hit it off after you left," Brandon said with a secret smile, "she came around and really took a liking to me."

"I see," Gabriella said, though she wondered exactly how that happened. Brandon changed the subject before she could ask, inquiring about her meeting with Desmond.

"Oh, Desmond is gone back to the air force, we said our goodbyes."

"Really? Did he get over you that quickly?" Brandon asked in surprise.

"Well, he said he needed time but he promised to get over his – crush."

"Ah, puppy-love." Gabriella nudged Brandon in the ribs.

"Hey!"

"Don't be too hard on him, he's a decent guy. He was quite broken up when I told him it would never work out."

"As long as he gets that it's over," Brandon mumbled. "Any other old crushes, exes or lovers in your life that I should know about?" Gabriella shook her head in disbelief.

"Very funny."

"Hey, it's a valid point! I'm kind of tired of guys popping up in your life. First Archer, then Dez..."

"And now they're both history, Barry."

"Okay, okay," Brandon snuck his arm around her as he spoke, "I just want you all to myself from now on." Gabriella's expression became softer and she leaned into him.

"You do, Barry." No more was said about ex-lovers after that.

Gabriella paid a visit to Sassie the following week after she heard that Teddy was over his measles. She went laden with a stuffed Nemo doll and a box full of cupcakes she made herself for Teddy.

"Auntie Gabby!" He exclaimed with a squeal on seeing her and gave her a tight hug.

"Hello my darling Teddy! You're looking a lot better." Gabriella hugged him and smacked his cheek with a smooch. Teddy squealed with laughter as she began to tickle him.

"Nemo!" He yelled when he saw the stuffed doll. He pounced on it at once, rolling over the floor with it. When his eyes caught sight of the cupcakes however, his attention turned to them.

"Are those for me?" He asked Gabriella innocently. She nodded and placed them in his hand.

"All for you." Gabriella smiled at him.

"Yay! Thank you, auntie!" He attacked the cupcakes and proceeded to stuff his face.

"At least he's quieter now," Sassie told Gabriella as they sat down in the living room to talk over tea. "The scratching phase was a nightmare."

"What you and Phil need is a vacation. I could keep Teddy with me for a few days if you like," Gabriella offered.

"But aren't you staying with Brandon? Would he be alright having a toddler around the house?"

"That's okay, he won't mind. He's very easy-going that way. And I'm sure he'd love to help babysit Teddy." Gabriella's eyes flitted to him sitting on his playmat, his face covered in frosting as he devoured the cupcakes. Her eyes became wistful.