Chapter 1 Appearances Can Deceive

Gabriella worked round the clock everyday from eight to five. Her one peaceful forget-about-work day was the blessed Sabbath (or the rare occasion when she'd get Saturdays off) and she looked forward to it like a kid waiting for Christmas. She worked hard to get a degree and finally ended up at a mediocre desk job, something she wasn't happy about but nevertheless it paid the bills and gave her a sense of independence. She didn't have a dream job yet; so until she figured out what she really wanted to do, she was happy just to keep her job until the right time came to put her passion into action. Her mother was well taken care of back home in Kansas and she had her own modest place here in New York. Everyday was exactly the same as the last, no excitement, but still hectic. No adventures, but still a journey. This was the daily life of Gabriella Keller.

This particular morning, she was manning the phone for customer service on Diana Cosmetics (ironic because she hated makeup) and she spent twenty three minutes with an irate middle-aged customer who was complaining that the new 'Flawless Velvet' makeup collection didn't make her look twenty years younger as it had shown in the advertisement. Gabriella rolled her eyes in disgust, she knew that ads were always exaggerated but did people have to believe them with great expectations and equally great disappointments? She kept her voice smooth doing her best to calm her customer.

"I request - no I DEMAND a refund! I was promised-"

"Yes ma'am, but the advertisement mentions that the item makes you feel younger, not become younger. If there is any quality problem with the product we will be happy to exchange the item or give you a full refund."

"Forget it! I don't want to waste my time with return service. Everyone knows they never refund on time! I'll just write a bad review and then we'll see if you advertise falsely again!" There was a slam on the other side and Gabriella winced. Oh well, that was only one lost customer out of eight hundred thousand. If all goes well her boss won't even notice. And people liked to give bad reviews more than good ones because it's easier to complain about something than to praise it. She looked at the digital clock on her desktop. Ten minutes to twelve thirty. She could get off in a little while and use the lunch hour to shut her strained eyes for a bit. The line rang again, and she picked it up with a sigh.

"Hello, hello? Is this the Diana Cosmetics Company?" Gabriella was mildly surprised to hear a man's voice. It sounded elderly and raspy, but sophisticated.

"Yes sir, this is Diana Cosmetics customer service, Gabriella speaking. How may I be of assistance to you?"

"I would like to inquire about your online shopping facilities, I wish to purchase a gift."

"Well sir, on our webpage-"

"I don't want any computer business." He interrupted. "I'm not used to all that online stuff. I called in to ask for a purchase to be made for me." This was easy, but getting exactly what the customer wanted was not. Sensing Gabriella's hesitance, he said, "I can pay cash on delivery if that's okay. I just want you to make the purchase for me since I am unable to do it myself either in person or on that web book, or page or whatever it's called."

"Very well, sir. Might I make suggestions on our gift selections?"

"Yes, I need something for a middle aged woman, price is not a point. I want the best and there has to be a lot of it. And I want it in three days. I can pay on delivery." Gabriella smiled into her headphones. Not bad for the old guy. He probably wanted to buy something for his wife for her birthday, and he wanted the best. He was definitely a well bred gentleman.

"Well sir, there are three limited time collections for ladies gift baskets. The first is a full set of lipsticks, eye shadows and powders in varied colors popular throughout the year for casual and formal events. The second is a moisturizer bundle with our latest in creams and lotions for a healthy glow. It also comes with deluxe gold shades for richness as well as subtlety. The third is a party-wear collection usually popular with a younger generation with metallic shades glitter and long-lasting properties. Would you like a recommendation based on your choice?"