Chapter 16 Pearl of the Sea

Brandon had stomped outside to the back of the house where there was a swimming pool. He sat down beside it on a cushioned wicker couch, knees apart and elbows resting on them. his fingers knitted together in the middle and his eyes fixed on them with a thoughtful gaze. Gabriella observed him for a moment before sitting down next to him.

"Brandon? Are you okay?" His eyes flickered up upon the water. Gabriella knew he was upset but didn't quite know how to approach him. She tentatively put a hand on his knee. A little sigh escaped his lips and his hand came upon hers.

"I'm sorry you had to see that. I picked a bad day for you to meet my parents."

"Did I do something I shouldn't have? Your aunt doesn't seem to like me much."

"It isn't you. She's desperate to marry someone of whom she approves. She thinks my parents are too lenient with me. If she had her way, she would have raised me with an iron fist." Gabriella entwined her fingers with his, thinking.

"Your parents seem like really amazing people," she stated gently. "I'm glad I got the chance to meet them." A smile almost broke out on Brandon's lips.

"I knew you'd like them. It was just unfortunate that my aunt had to come here today of all the days..." he relapsed into a sulk. Gabriella laid her head on his shoulder, not wanting to press the conversation.

"I hope you at least liked the food," Brandon said after a moment.

"Absolutely. It was fantastic." Gabriella answered enthusiastically. He half smiled.

"My mom won't admit it, but she's been preparing to 'meet my girlfriend' since the day I told her I started dating you."

"I like her. She's a lot like you, actually. And your dad." Gabriella's calm voice soothed Brandon; he turned his head and kissed her hair, feeling a lot less irritable.

"It's only two o'clock. I wanted to take you to the beach but it'll be too hot now. We'll wait till it's cooler in the evening."

"What shall we do till then?"

"I wanted to show you my room... and give you a tour. But I don't want to go in just yet."

"Then don't. I'm quite comfy as it is. Let's just sit here until you feel better," Gabriella said in contentment. Brandon smiled serenely, slipping his hand around her waist. They sat there for a long while in comfortable silence. Brandon was surprised; except with his parents, he hadn't really experienced such companionship with anyone before. People usually forgot that he was also a person behind all the money and often treated him without consideration of what he might be feeling. His easy-going nature allowed him to bear with it all and get used to it, but he found himself enjoying the luxury of having someone acquiesce to his needs for once.

She really is an angel, he thought to himself, casting a sideways glance at Gabriella's head on his shoulder. He closed his eyes, resting for a bit, happy to just have her by his side. It wasn't until Mrs. Whiteley came to call them did he stir.

"Barry dear, your aunt just left. Would you like to come in now?" Brandon opened his eyes. He had dozed off. From the looks of it, so had Gabriella. She blinked rapidly, rubbing her eyes and sitting up straight.

"Yes. We'll be right in," Brandon replied to his mother and got up along with Gabriella. They went indoors, hand in hand.

"Mother, I'm just going to show Gabriella around, is that alright?"

"Why of course, dear! Take your time." Mrs. Whiteley gave them one of her sweetest smiles. She was relieved that her son had gotten over his mood and credited it to the girl beside him. Her eyes never left the couple as they climbed up the grand staircase, looking on with happy eyes. Her husband came up to her and saw her face. He wrapped an arm around her and gave her a peck on the cheek.