Chapter 6 Sweethearts, Old & New

Brandon was content. Gabriella hadn't said no to his face when he asked her to go on a date with him. She was probably a little shy though, that's why she seemed so nervous when he asked her out. But that only made her more attractive to him and he looked forward to going out with her soon.

Gabriella meanwhile, was fast asleep in bed, dreaming. All she could see was a big blue ocean. Suddenly that ocean shrunk into two small almond shaped eyes – his eyes. She saw them come closer, and closer, until... she blinked in the dark. It had been a dream. She looked at her bedside clock. It was five in the morning. She had the whole day off with no chores and nothing to do with herself. It was what she hated the most – having nothing to do. She yawned and jumped out of bed, feeling her ankle. It was much better. In fact, she barely needed the bandage anymore. She showered (for fifteen minutes, lost in thought) and dressed, formulating a schedule as she slid into her jeans. She would go visit her best friend today, then maybe check in on her Volunteer club.

"Honey bells! I haven't seen you in forever!" Sassie Ingram, her best friend for years, greeted her from behind the coffee counter where she worked.

"Sass, I visited you two weeks ago." Gabriella rolled her eyes. Her best friend tended to exaggerate.

"That's like three months to me. But it's okay, it looks like you ran into a guy, huh honey?" She tweaked Gabriella's hair. She was like the older sister Gabriella never had. Gabriella reddened.

"What makes you think that?"

"You've got that look, hon. You haven't had that look since Bobby Sheldon from Penn State." Bobby Sheldon had been an incredibly hot guy in college that practically every girl swooned over – even Gabriella herself had once been impressed with him. But that was just a college fad; Bobby had gone off to become a model in Hawaii. That ended that. Gabriella cleared her throat.

"Is it obvious?" she asked.

"No, but you do tend to come to me for dating advice." Sassie said with a sly smile.

"I do not!" Gabriella protested weakly, but she knew it was true. She wasn't the kind to flirt and date even in college while Sassie was very good at getting a new date every Saturday. Gabriella had been the one to come away with honors; Sassie graduated with an engagement ring.

"Anyway, how have you been? Is Phil okay? And Teddy?" she asked her friend.

"Phil and I are fine bells, and Teddy just started kindergarten." Sassie said, keenly aware that Gabriella was trying to steer off the subject. "Now tell me about your crush." They sat down at a coffee table.

"It's not a crush; I don't know what it is."

"Do you like him?"

"You mean if I like the fact that he smeared me with a hotdog, replaced the dress with one that cost a couple months' salary, then took me to dinner, saved my life from drowning and took me on a date the next day, then yeah, sure." Sassie blinked.

"Honey, you have a way more adventurous life now then when you were in college."

"I know! I don't even know how I ended up in this situation." Gabriella said, clutching her head. Sassie studied her.

"Does he seem into you?" she asked.

"I think so. He wouldn't have asked me out on a second date if he wasn't. Although I'm surprised he'd want to date me after the fuss I kicked up –" Sassie cut her short.

"You already went on a first date?! And you tell me now?! Bells, I'm appalled." She fake pouted, sticking her lip out. Gabriella laughed and plunged into a recount of her date.