Chapter 27 Sensible and Sensibility

Gabriella was right down in the dumps when she got home (she took the bus as Brandon was tied up with work). She had lost the only job she had managed to hang on to for so long. What was she to do now? Scrambling for work was not easy. She'd have to work part-time to pay the bills, rent... She shut her eyes. She had forgotten to check the state of her apartment! Living with Brandon had become so natural that it completely slipped out of her mind. But she knew that eventually she'd have to go back; the question is, how would she go back if she couldn't afford it?

She walked outside the house, wrapping her shrug more securely against the wind. She came to the back of the house where there was a wide patio with long woven lounge chairs decked in the garden. She sat down on one and pulled out her phone. She called up the manager of her building to ask if the wiring was fixed – but there was no answer. She could simply go back and check her apartment later... Maybe she could go with Brandon. She sighed, feeling low thinking about her job; she wanted to talk to him, hearing his voice would cheer her up even though she couldn't tell him about work yet. That could wait till he got home. She dialed his number and he picked up immediately.

"Angel, did you get home alright?" He asked anxiously. Gabriella smiled, touched by his concern.

"Of course Brandon, the bus is very reliable."

"Phew, good. I should be home soon, I just stopped by the market to pick up some groceries."

"You're shopping without me? Barry." There was a trace of petulance in her voice. Brandon grinned.

"The fridge was bare and I needed to have some good ingredients to cook up for you."

"Okay. But next time, I want to come along."

"Promise." Brandon made kissy noises and hung up, leaving Gabriella in a happier state of mind. So what if she lost her job? She'd get another one soon! There was no shame being unemployed for a little while. That's what she kept telling herself until her phone rang – she looked down and saw that Sassie was calling. Surprised, Gabriella picked up.

"Hello, Sass?"

"Gabby! Where the heck are you? Please tell me you're not on the streets somewhere!"

"Sassie, calm down, I'm at Brandon's place." Gabriella heard her friend sigh loudly.

"Thank goodness! I was worried when you never called back and then I saw the news and Archer and I didn't get a spare minute to call what with Teddy and measles—"

"Sass, breathe." Gabriella heard her going off into a breathless rant.

"You're right, you're right. I've been so stressed out lately, I've been close to a breakdown."

"How's Teddy feeling?"

"Teddy's fine, except at night. We had to put baby mittens on him to stop him from scratching, I can't take my eye off him otherwise!"

"I'm glad he's feeling better. But Sass, you sound like you could use a break."

"I wish! What I'd like most in the world right now is a pina colada, pineapple pizza and a date with Phil. That reminds me – how are things with Brandon?"

"We're fine, we made up and he's been taking good care of me." Gabriella's mouth perked up at the thought of Brandon.

"I sure hope he is, after the talking to I gave him," Sassie huffed. "Did you know I called him that day? I didn't want you stranded on the streets and knew he had to be there with you." Gabriella laughed.

"Thanks for that by the way."

"Glad to see that boy is finally setting things right. I saw what he did with Archer on the news. He's over, isn't he?"