Chapter 18 Highballs and High Stakes

The sky had morphed into a hazy blend of fire and lapis. A gentle breeze drifted through the open roads, subduing the summer heat from the day. Gabriella's eyes fixed on the rising edifice of luxury and elegance through the car window – The Fitzgerald Hotel where Meredith's wedding was taking place.

"Wow, Meredith didn't spare any expense," Gabriella mumbled as she took in the vast hotel. She and Brandon had just pulled up at the entrance in his car and got out. Brandon hailed a porter to take their bags before taking her side.

"It's fair for a wedding, I suppose," Brandon said monotonously. Gabriella raised an eyebrow at him.

"Is it not up to my millionaire's tastes?" She asked.

"Hmm, it may be just me, but I'd have done better if it were for a bride of mine." Brandon didn't sound conceited, but truly sincere. Gabriella had meant to be teasing but on hearing his tone she knew he meant what he said and she looked down, abashed – his unmarred honesty shook her up at times and she was not used to it yet.

"Ahem, er, we can convene at the bar, my friend Sassie and her husband will meet us there." She informed Brandon after checking a text from her phone – Sassie was already impatiently waiting for her.

"Hold on, I have to see about our rooms," Brandon said.

"Oh, don't worry about that, Meredith's invitation should be enough to get us checked in." Gabriella handed him the invitation as she spoke.

"Alright then, I'll see to it that our rooms are ready and meet you at the bar." Brandon assured her with a smile and headed for the reception desk. Gabriella couldn't help smiling to herself, thinking how easy things were with Brandon – she felt she could trust him to be the man whenever needed. It was nice not having to rely on herself for once and it was something pleasant to get used to.

She stepped into the bathroom to freshen up her appearance a bit before heading into the bar. She suddenly felt her arm squeezed so tight she felt like the blood must have clotted. She turned and saw that it was Sassie, wearing a peeved look on her face.

"Sass! I've been looking for you!" Gabriella greeted her cheerily. Sassie grunted.

"Huh! Don't you 'Sass' me. Where the heck is that multi-millionaire-of-a-boyfriend of yours?!" Gabriella's smile faltered. It felt strange hearing Brandon referred to like that by her best friend – sure, she often teased Brandon about being rich, but that was between them; this didn't feel right.

"Sass, he's more than just a millionaire," Gabriella explained quietly. "He's amazing and not just the shallow reflection people paint him to be."

"By Jove, I think the girl really is in love!" Sassie blinked at her friend. Her tone turned more understanding. "And here I was berating you for not telling me who he was sooner. I was so mad at you for keeping the biggest secret of your life from me but I'm also so happy for you! Oooh, how could you not tell me and make me find out from a picture?! You were dating Brandon Whiteley for a month and you didn't tell me? Crap, where's my hanky?" She rummaged her purse for a handkerchief to wipe the tears that suddenly sprung to her eyes.

"Oh Sassie, I'm sorry. I know I should've told you. I was too nervous. I still couldn't believe it myself. Can you imagine me, dating him? I wasn't ready for everyone to know... to share him..."

It's alright, I understand, Gabby." Sassie hooked her arm through her friend's. "You were in love and wanted him all to yourself for a bit."

"It's not just that, Sass." Gabriella shook her head. "I didn't want people to react to him the same way you did – like I'm dating some object made of money rather than a person!"