Chapter 24 The Millionaire Strikes Back

The early rays of dawn streamed in through the window, throwing a golden glow on the couple cuddled together in bed. Brandon opened his eyes first, his internal clock tuned to the early hours of the day due to his job. But instead of jumping out of bed like he usually did, he turned to face the sleeping golden haired angel laying on his arm. He smiled, silently observing the face that made his heart soar. He gently reached out and touched the area where her dimple usually was when she smiled – and a soft hum came from her throat. Her eyes fluttered open and she found Brandon looking at her the way a man looks at a precious treasure.

"Good morning, my Angel." He nuzzled his cheek against hers as he spoke. A wide smile spread on her face and she ran her hands through his tousled, golden brown hair.

"Good morning, my dashing knight." Brandon laughed at her name for him and pulled her fast against his chest.

"This is how I want it to be every morning," he said contently, "however, there's too much temptation to stay in bed all day with you and I have to get to work." Gabriella sighed.

"Me too."

"Angel, are you sure you can handle it?" Brandon asked, concern filling his eyes. "You don't have to go if you don't feel ready." Gabriella shook her head.

"I have to go, Brandon. My boss will blow a top if I take any more days off. I'll be fine, I know who I'll be coming home to and that'll get me through the day." Brandon wondered if his joy would cause his heart to explode. However, the thought of everything he had to do today sobered him up.

"I'm going to end things with Archer once and for all today," he said tentatively, gauging Gabriella's reaction. She tensed up.

"Okay," she said quietly.

"He may want to settle fast. A court case could result in a lot of negative publicity for him."

"And... you want me to agree to it?" Gabriella asked, meeting his eyes.

"No Angel, I would never ask you to do that after all he's put you through! But the thing is," Brandon hesitated, "dragging this into court would mean you'd have to come and testify. And that means seeing him again—"

"Settle with him," Gabriella said quickly, "I don't want to see him ever again, day in and day out, battling a court case."

"Are you sure, Angel? I don't want you to make this decision and regret it later—"

"I'm sure, Brandon." Gabriella nodded. "I don't want to waste precious time in court when I can spend that time with you." He placed a long kiss on her forehead.

"I'm glad you feel that way, Gabriella. I know it's a hard decision but I'm proud of you," his eyes glinted as he continued, "and I'll make sure he pays through his nose for everything he's done."

"I know you'll do what's right," Gabriella said with a soft smile. Brandon's expression lightened.

"For you? Always. Now, would you be interested in a quick breakfast before we go? I'll whip up a vegan mouth-watering omelet du fromage for my lovely mademoiselle." Gabriella laughed in delight, the happiness of being with Brandon washing away the last dregs of her bad memories with Archer.