Chapter 12 Dinners & Dates

"Nice ambience. I'm surprised you found a quaint little place like this." Gabriella said, as they entered the restaurant. Brandon was craning his neck from left to right, as though looking for someone.

"Brandon?" he turned to her upon hearing her voice.

"Oh, right. You want a private booth or table in the middle?" he asked.

"I prefer a booth. You?"

"Definitely a booth." He seemed distracted and Gabriella didn't miss it.

"Is something wrong?" she asked.

"What? Oh, no. Nothing's wrong. Just... making sure no one around here recognizes me. I would like a nice quiet evening with my girlfriend, without unwanted interruptions." She smiled at him, understanding. Brandon could be so sweet with his guileless honesty at times. Gabriella handed him the menu.

"What are you feeling like having?" she asked him.

"Hmm... I need some chicken wings. I'm craving them."

"I'll start with a soup." The waiter took their order and left. Brandon got up and sat next to her, since the booth was rounded like a semi circle.

"Selfie time." He pulled out his phone.

"Really? Isn't that what the kids do?" Gabriella asked him skeptically. He pointed to the other tables.

"Take a look." Nearly half the tables had couples and all were busy taking couple pictures. Gabriella giggled and gave in.

"Alright, if social convention demands it. But technically it's called an us-ie, not a selfie. Although personally, I prefer the term CC."

"CC?"

"Couple-capture." Brandon approved of that.

"Nice. Smile." He held his phone at arm's length and snapped a picture with his arm around her. The second one he took while kissing her cheek. She laughed while he took it. Before they could take the third, there was an interruption outside their booth.

"Well, look what I found. If it isn't my ex-sweetheart." Leaning casually against the booth, with a smile smoother than butter, was none other than Archer Steele.

"Archer? What are you doing here?" Gabriella asked in surprise.

"Same as you, I take it. Having dinner." Archer replied curtly. He didn't look pleased at all to see Gabriella wrapped so snuggly under Brandon's arm. Gabriella herself had forgotten her aversion to physically proximity and found it quite comfortable being this close to him.

"This place is generally reserved for couples." Brandon said, giving him a demure stare.

"Oh, don't worry, I'm not here alone." Archer replied curtly. With that, he pulled the arm of a pretty brunette girl from behind the booth so that she came into view. Gabriella recognized her immediately as one of her old classmates.

"Cheyenne? Oh my gosh, Cheyenne I haven't seen you in ages!" Gabriella got up and hugged the girl.

"You look great, Gabriella. I love what you've done with your hair. You used to have waves back then." Cheyenne said with a smile. Gabriella patted her hair shyly.

"Thank you. Oh! Brandon, this is Cheyenne Tate, an old friend from school. Cheyenne, this is Brandon Whiteley." Gabriella introduced her friend to Brandon.

"Nice to meet you," Brandon said with a polite nod. Cheyenne's eyes widened on seeing Brandon.

"I've seen you before! In a magazine somewhere! Aren't you the guy who dated Valerie Haven?"