Prologue

Gabriella:

My Ma always said, "never give yourself to a man who can't love you after the sun rises. If he won't cherish you in the light, he sure as heck ain't gonna do it otherwise. He ain't worth it, love." Yes, she was typically a southern blonde belle; she had all the looks, charisma, and charm a woman could ever be blessed with to snag a man above men. And that's how Pop fell and fell hard for her like a ton of bricks. I've seen them weather it through toil and trouble, sunshine and rainbows, and everything in between.

"Ma, I just entered high school, I got no time for dating!" I laughed at her solemn demeanor. But she meant business.

"I'm serious love," she put down the dishes she was washing and turned to me, "dashing beaus will come and go, but a gentleman stays forever.

"Keep your heart to yourself until a man gives you his. And when he does, take good care of it, because he's entrusted it to you. And he'll take precious care of yours all the days under the sun."

"Okay, Ma." I nodded, accepting her words, wondering if such a romance even existed. Sure it did for Ma, but Pops was a diamond in the rough. I doubted if I'd find this 'gentleman' Ma spoke about.

"And when it comes to love," she continued, "it's all or nothing." Pops came into the kitchen just then and swept her away in his arms and I had to cover up my eyes as they got all lovey-dovey. Someday, I hoped I'd find a gentleman, a modern knight with a noble heart to love.

 Someday, I hoped I'd find a gentleman, a modern knight with a noble heart to love

Brandon:

I'll never forget my Dad's advice to me.

The best of it was given to me one sunny afternoon in his office at home. He'd called me in saying he wanted to have a man-to-man chat with me. I was thirteen when I realized he wanted to give me 'the talk'. Well, that part could've waited a few more years, I wasn't gonna get married till after college. Still, Dad was training me for manhood. But after the awkward stuff got out of the way, Dad grew serious and looked at me the way a man meets the eye of another man and suddenly I didn't feel like a boy anymore.

"Son," he said, laying his great big hand on my shoulder, "whatever you decide to do with the woman you choose, do it with honorable intentions. Protect her dignity while you give her your love and she will never despise you or fail to return your love. Be a man when it comes to both love and war.

"And when in love, give it your all."

Mom hollered for him just then for some chore or the other and as my Dad rose from his stuffed leather chair, I saw the look of adoration that sparkled in his eye as his thoughts shifted to her. Fifteen years married and the candle of their love still burned in an undying flame. I silently promised myself that when the time came for me to love, I'd love the woman who would capture my heart the way Dad loved Mom – with all my heart and soul.

 I silently promised myself that when the time came for me to love, I'd love the woman who would capture my heart the way Dad loved Mom – with all my heart and soul