Chapter 23 Until the Storms Pass

Warning! Steamy content ahead. ❤️‍🔥

"I feel like I'm forgetting something at home," Gabriella told Brandon with a pang of uneasiness as he drove her to his house.

"You're probably just overthinking, Angel," Brandon said, "you went through a lot tonight and you're just stressed. Forget about everything and relax."

"Yes, I guess you're right," Gabriella dismissed the thought for now. She was feeling a migraine coming on from all the exhaustion and stress of the day and it was tiring her out. On top of it all, she was starting to feel famished having missed dinner.

"You haven't eaten yet, have you?" Brandon asked as though reading her thoughts. Her stomach gave a low grumble in response. She gave him a sheepish smile.

"Don't worry. I'll cook you up a hearty meal," Brandon promised her just as the car drew near a wide set of double gates. He unlocked them automatically by a voice recognition system fixed in the wall and drove inside before the gates slid shut. Gabriella looked ahead in curiosity; Brandon's house amounted to a luxurious modern mansion. It was a two storey building with sparkly white walls and black geometric detailing. Tall glass windows dotted the walls, currently hiding the interior of the house with the curtains drawn. But the entire setup was impressive nonetheless.

"Your place is so huge. And beautiful," Gabriella commented in awe. "I'm kind of surprised you're always at my place with a house like this."

"Well, your place has something I adore very much that I don't have here."

"What's that?"

"Your presence," Brandon replied with utmost sincerity. Gabriella lowered her gaze with red cheeks. Brandon knew exactly how to make her heart flutter with his compliments.

He helped her out of the car, taking her bag onto his own shoulder as they made their way up the garden path to the house.

"Wow, the interiors in this place are amazing!" She spun in a circle as she took in the house upon entering. Brandon smiled.

"I work for a designing company, remember? Naturally I dabbled a little when it came to my own place." Gabriella took a few steps forward and heard her footsteps echo. She looked down. The floor was of sparkly black, glossy marble. She looked around, observing the rest of the house. The furniture consisted of white leather L-shaped couches facing each other on opposite sides of the room with a huge wall mounted flatscreen TV and stereo on the side. A round glass coffee table stood in the center of the room on a fluffy white shag rug. Multiple glass baubles of light hung from the ceiling and a sleek black fireplace lined one side of the room. Beside the living room was a spacious open concept kitchen and dining room set a few steps higher from the living room, containing a long glass dining table with about twelve white leather upholstered chairs.

"You must have a lot of company," Gabriella said wistfully. Brandon heard the low note in her voice and pulled her into his arms.

"Apart from my family and Peter, you're the first person to set foot in my house." He placed a little kiss on the side of her forehead as he spoke and immediately she felt better. She privately scolded herself for thinking otherwise - Brandon was not the kind to entertain women or hold parties even though he was from a socially elite world. She felt flattered at being the first woman to enter his house.

"So, you hungry?" Brandon asked, rolling up his sleeves and entering the kitchen. Gabriella followed him and nodded with an amused smile.

"Tonight's special is ratatouille for my Angel!" Brandon said with a flourish. Gabriella smiled at him.

"You sure you know how to make it?"

"For my Angel, I will put Remy to shame." He winked at her and got to work while she watched him. He chopped up the vegetables with accurate deftness, layering each slice of eggplant, zucchini and tomato in the baking dish with finesse. Next he poured the tomato passata over it and peppered the dish with pesto. Then he popped it into the oven.