Chapter 29 The Millionaire Meets the Mother

Gabriella and Brandon made their trip to Kansas to meet her mom the following week. Brandon had taken a few days off at work, true to his word as he intended to make a nice long trip to get acquainted with her mother. That she understood; the only thing she didn't was why he booked a train instead of a flight to Kansas. The latter took only three hours; the former took a day. But Brandon said he was looking forward to spending more alone time with Gabriella on this trip so why not? Gabriella didn't have the heart to argue logic with a sentiment like that.

And it wasn't like Brandon hadn't secretly reserved luxurious first class seats for them and played innocent when Gabriella talked about getting on the regular coach. It wasn't until they entered the train and Brandon guided her in the opposite direction where the first class coach was that Gabriella realized what he did.

"Brandon! You didn't even tell me!"

"What? I've never even traveled on a train before. There's no way I'd go in an ordinary class coach and I wanted the best for you. Besides, now we can have some privacy." Brandon's matter-of-fact reasoning left Gabriella in a mix of amusement and mild vexation. Still, it was very comfortable in first class as she had never traveled that way before.

"Okay, let's find our seats." She conceded.

"No need, that attendant over there will guide us." A woman in a neat red and white uniform with her hair tied in a tight bun came forward and greeted them. She met Brandon's eyes and smiled widely.

"Welcome, sir! Please follow me, Mr. Whiteley." Gabriella didn't miss the fact that she got left out of the greeting. She frowned.

"I didn't know trains had attendants," she whispered stiffly.

"It's first class, Angel. Only the best service for you," Brandon replied, unaware of her irritation with the attendant.

"And how did she know who you were?" Gabriella asked.

"I guess she read the tabloids, or saw the news."

"I suppose..." Gabriella muttered. They sat down in their seats, Brandon taking the aisle while Gabriella took the window.

"Would you like any refreshments?" The attendant appeared again, sashaying her hips as she approached them. "We serve lunch at twelve o'clock, today's menu is roast chicken, tomato gnocchi and leek soup. But we serve snacks at all times of the day."

"Angel?" Brandon immediately inquired of Gabriella.

"Sure," Gabriella replied, keeping her eyes fixed on the attendant who was gazing ardently at Brandon. She went and brought in a trolley laden with food. She served them orange juice and warm nuts before going away, promising Brandon with her widest smile that she would serve them lunch on time. Gabriella huffed after she left.

"I don't like her, she seemed – a bit too forward," she commented to Brandon.

"Gabriella, you're not actually jealous are you? She's just an attendant. It's her duty to smile at passengers, make them feel welcome."

"Too welcome. How would you feel if I was in her shoes, smiling at passengers, especially single male passengers all day?" Gabriella asked with a cocked eyebrow. Brandon snorted in a laugh but quickly turned it to a cough.

"Oh Gabriella," he patted her hand, "I didn't know you had such a sense of humor!"

"I'm not joking," she said seriously. "Sassie used to work as a waitress and I know there were days that Phil didn't like it because some male customers always dropped one-liners or made passes."

"Angel, do you really think I'd be swayed by anyone else? I've dated supermodels for crying out loud. No one, absolutely no one, can compare to you. And who says I'm single? I am very much taken by my exquisite Angel." His hand found its way into hers and he threaded their fingers. Gabriella sighed.