Nightly Visits and Fox Spirits

"That dipsh^t!" Veronica yelled as she walked into the employee lounge. "He did it again!"

I sigh because this was starting to feel like a running gag. "Again?"

"Yes! Do you know how uncomfortable the customers are right now?" she yelled pointing to where the dining room area is.

I take a peek and yep he was sitting on the table glassy-eyed with something in his mouth. One of the customers stood up and walked out the door before her order got to him.

"The smell is awful. Why did Amanda employ a jacka$$ like him!" she moaned sitting down on the chair. "Why?"

We hear a commotion in the dining room area and I shake my head in pity. "Too bad she is not here to answer the question."

Then Michael pushed Ral into the room along with his stench. Annoyed, I quickly walk out of the room and spray the place with perfume praying to God no one would walk inside.

The door opened and Taro Yamada walked in wearing his business suit. He covered his nose and quickly took a seat near the window.

"Good evening Emma." He said picking up the menu.

I quickly drop the can of perfume and take out my pen and notepad. "Good evening sir. What will you have tonight?"

"Well..." we heard glass shatter. "Is everything alright?"

I nod quickly. "What will you have sir?"

"I'll have the usual." He replied.

"Would you be interested in dessert?"

"Sure. I will take the chocolate pudding." He said shutting the menu.

I quickly head to the counter and a few minutes later, I reappear with his order.

"Thank you." he took a bite of his food. "Slow business tonight."

I nod.

"On a normal night, this place would be filled with customers. What's happening?"

Loud voices and something falling to the ground stopped me from answering the question. Then Mr. Ming the head chief stormed out of the kitchen and walked out the door with a huge slam.

I watched him disappear into the night and sighed.

Taro sighed along with me. "Now I know why."

Amanda had employed Ral a few weeks after the summer break and went to visit her family three days ago. We didn't like him since he was a two-faced jerk; acting nice when she is around but behaving like an idiot behind her back. We complained to Amanda about his behavior but she shocked us by saying, "As long as he does not push us out of business, deal with it."

Well, the rest of the workers raged war on him while I decided to tolerate him because I had a lot on my plate with school and Jake who hasn't said a word about him, and this made me drink the cocktail called Fear.

Was he playing it safe?

"I'm done." Taro's voice snapped me out of my trance. I clear the table and hand him the bill which he paid in cash. Even though no one was there to help me, I clean up the dining room, grab my coat and walk out the door.

"It's late," Taro said. "Do you need a ride home? I can drive you."

I shake my head and call a taxi which arrived just in time to pick me up. I get home, take a shower and go to sleep.

I wake up to Jake staring at me.

"Good morning my love. Did you sleep well?" he asked.

Hiding my terror, I give a stiff nod, get up and stretch until my joints popped. After wearing my uniform and eating breakfast, we walk to school together.