Chapter 5 - Familar Strangers

{⚠️Trigger Warning: mental issues; abuse mentioned}

[When Vegas speaks English I'll type the parts bold.]

Have fun. 😊 Let's go.

.......................

Pete's POV

I stood in front of Khun Vegas' office door and knocked. As no one answered, I cautiously opened the door to find my temporary boss behind his desk. He looked up and gave me an indefinable look as our eyes met.

"I'm sorry, Khun Vegas. I knocked but-"

"You don't have to wait for someone to invite you in." He said dryly and hurriedly looked back on the papers on his desk.

Why couldn't he just tell me whether to come in or leave or whatever he wanted me to do?!

Last time when I was here with Porsche and Arm he seemed quite friendly, even if he was just pretending. Now he seemed irritated and withdrawn.

"The Main Family sent me here to help you, sir. How can I be of use for you?"

He looked up again and gazed annoyed at me up and down until chills ran down my spine.

"Help?" He jumped up from his chair and approached me with a dangerous smile, looking into my eyes.

His eyes suddenly seemed to burn with anger and I tried hard to suppress the impulse to back away. He grabbed the lapel of my suit jacket just below the badge with the Main Family's blazon and pulled me so close that I had to pull my neck back so our faces wouldn't touch. My heart immediately started beating wildly and I felt a tingling sensation on my skin.

I didn't dare to move or say anything.

"Take it off." He ordered.

I didn't understand what he wanted. Take off the badge? Or did he really wanted me to take off my suit?

I tried to take a step back, but Khun Vegas was still holding onto my jacket and I couldn't create any space between us.

"I..."

"If you want to work for me, you can't look like a penguin of the Main Family."

Penguin? I got irritated. He literally wore an animal print. If I looked like a penguin, he looked like a snake. And in addition I surely didn't "want" to work here.

But I replied friendly anyway: "I'm sorry, sir. I will go and change it."

I made a move towards the door, but this bastard just wouldn't let go of me.

"Is there anything else, sir?"

He smiled and gazed up and down my body. A chill ran down my spine again.

"I'm hungry. I want to eat."

"W-what?!" I briefly lost my composure at his ambiguous remarks. I almost grabbed his wrist in surprise, but I could hold myself back and let my hand sink again. I looked on the floor as I was trying to breath normally. I was aware he was teasing me, but I couldn't help myself, I felt so nervous anyway.

He smiled even brighter and tilted his head lightly as released my jacket, sliding his hand up to my shoulder and down my upper arm before removing it and taking a step back.

I gulped and looked at his face again.

Khun Vegas went back towards his desk while asking: "Can you cook, Pete?"

"Yes, sir. A bit." I replied confused, but was relieved that he had let go of me.

"Then go and do something yourself." When I saw him giving me a challenging smile, I knew he was aware of the ambiguity in his words.