32 - Settled

Sara pov:

"Um, Madara sama, Uchiha Obito had arrived. Should I send him in?" asked one of the attendants assigned to work at the mansion.

"Send him in," came the response, without him taking his eyes off the paperwork he was looking through. I sat next to him, going through paperwork as well, ones that were not as complicated or critical as the ones he was going through though.

With a bow, the attendant left. It was only a few minutes before Obito san stepped into the office, his face devoid of any emotion but his eyes dark and anguished. He looked broken, desolate, even more than what I had seen in Madara when he found out about Black Zetsu. Well, Madara was not entirely alone like Obito san, for he had me. Obito san had lost all hope for the world much before the war and appeared to not have anything to look forward to now.

I felt bad for him.

"I hear you plan to waste away the rest of your days," Madara spoke.

"There is nothing else I have to do," came Obito san's answer, his voice solemn.

"I can relate to you to an extent, I suppose," mumbled Madara. It occurred to me that he was recalling his past, the days in which everything had slowly slipped away from him, including me. "However, it is not something you should linger in for an extended period of time. On Sara's suggestion, I have had you brought here to aid in governance of the Five Nations."

"Aid in governance?" Obito san sounded skeptical as he raised his head to meet Madara's gaze.

"That's right," I answered. "Since you once led the Akatsuki, and quite efficiently, I suggested to Madara that you can help him in governance."

"I'm not interested in controlling anyone anymore. I've done enough evil that anyone possibly can. Besides, even if I did do-"

"Governance is not to control anyone, Obito san, and I'm sure you know that too. Nor is it evil. You may have done some things that hurt others but it doesn't mean you can't start afresh now. Consider this work as a form of punishment, a way for you to pay for what you did. I assure you, it isn't easy work," I said.

"Sara, no matter what you say, it won't help in-"

"Please, Obito san," I interrupted, gazing at him with a sad smile. "You've suffered all your life and I can't help but want you to feel better somehow. Now that the world has settled down to an extent, you can take this as a chance to heal too, to move on from the past that has you still so anguished."

"There is nothing I have that makes me wish to heal. I have no one and nothing that gives me the desire to do so," he replied, sounding tired - emotionally rather than physically.

"You have us," I said, getting up from my seat next to Madara and stepping to Obito san. "While I don't know what you see Madara as, I would be happy if you considered me as a younger sister, your family. Together, we can take one step at a time, baby steps. I know that things will get better."

"You sound very corny, Sara," Madara said, though it did not sound like he really meant that. He had stopped working and was gazing our way - despite what he had said, there was a strange emotion in his eyes that showed that he somehow related to the way Obito san was feeling right now, and wished for the latter to accept my offer. He sympathized with Obito san, and appeared to show interest in seeing the latter feel the slightest better, perhaps in a sort of kinship for being in the same clan.

"Why do you care so much about me, Sara, enough to suggest having me work with you and Madara and saying that you will stand by me in the dreary path ahead of me?"

"I suppose this may sound a bit strange but I feel an unexpected sibling bond with you. I'm certain of the feeling because I have a younger brother I share the same vibes with, though I'm also a bit protective and motherly towards him," I answered. "Besides, you were a good friend to me in the time we were in the Akatsuki hideout. I can wish for my friend to be happy, can't I?"