11 - Heartache

Sara pov:

Humming to myself, I washed the dishes in the kitchen, scrubbing off the oil and leftover spices on the porcelain. It was another day with the usual routine - mopping the hallways in the morning, relaxing until lunch, helping in the kitchen after that, and turning in for the night at the end of that day.

It was very different from the hectic schedule I had always followed, just as it had been in the Senju Compound, and I enjoyed the break.

The atmosphere in the house, and in the Uchiha Compound in general, was no longer as tense as it used to be. Ever since Madara sama had spoken well of me after helping with saving the lives of his clansmen last week, the others, too, has begun to be nicer to me - genuinely nicer. While there were still many who ignored my existence, there were some who now spoke well with me, with kindness instead of giving me the cold shoulder. Of course, there weren't really many people that I met on a daily basis anyway.

"Sara, you can take a break after doing the dishes. We have some time before we start preparations for dinner," Shoko san said, coming to stand beside me. Her tone was gentle, as it had been of late, and there was a small smile upon her face that accentuated the fine wrinkles she was beginning to get.

"Sure, Shoko san, I'll do that," I replied with a nod.

When I was done with the dishes, I stepped outside to take a stroll through the garden. Jumping from the elevated hallway, I landed on the soft grass of the garden. I wriggled my toes, relishing the cool, ticklish feel of the grass under my bare feet. The sun was warm despite autumn beginning to set in.

With the recent developments, I no longer had wardens keeping me company 24 hours of the day. The freedom was blissful, though I was aware that every move I made was noticed by the other people I was around while I worked.

A slight commotion I heard in the kitchen had me glancing there, only to see someone speaking to Shoko san. The latter was frowning deeply, seeming angry even, her chakra pulsing strongly. Her eyes flared red for a split second before she nodded and the person speaking with her left. She closed her eyes a moment, seeming burdened by something. When she opened them, she looked calmer.

She looked to me the next moment and stepped to where I was. She said, "I have to leave on a mission right now. I've instructed the others on what they have to do and I will need you to prepare the sashimi and rice balls. Can you handle that?"

"Of course, Shoko san. I can take care of those," I agreed.

"Then I'll leave the job to you. And once you're done, take Madara sama his meal. He said he wished to take it in his room today - he is tired after returning from the war," she said.

"Alright," I answered with a nod.

Almost an hour later, dinner was ready. Having served everything in the required portion on a table, I headed over to Madara sama's room. Upon reaching, I knocked on the door but did not get a response. Only silence followed the second time, too. I contemplated for a moment before I put down the table and opened the door in the slightest, hoping that I would not find him in an embarrassing situation.

Much to my surprise, he was asleep. He was lying on the plain floor on his side, wearing a casual kimono instead of the usual attire I always saw him in. After another moment of contemplation, I stepped into the room with his meal.

 After another moment of contemplation, I stepped into the room with his meal