21 - Separation

Sara pov:

"Ugh, my head," I groaned, bringing a hand to the side of my head that throbbed. Sitting up, I winced, keeping my eyes shut for the few minutes while the sharp hangover headache remained, until I was left with a throbbing again.

Opening my eyes, I gazed blankly at the nothingness ahead of me, recalling all the embarrassing things I said to Madara when I had had more than two cups of strong sake to drink on his insistence. I had not only been embarrassingly blatant about why I loved him, what I thought of his physique and personality, but I had also scolded him for calling me drunk and making my first kiss reek of sake.

I shut my eyes and covered them with my palm, groaning again, though not in pain this time. "Oh my gosh, how could I embarrass myself like that?"

"I think it was rather endearing." Madara's voice had me tensing. Lowering my hand and peeking to the side, I saw him lying on the mattress next to me, watching me with a smirk. That look was enough for me to know that he was not going to let me go without teasing for a while.

"This is exactly why I didn't want to drink," I mumbled, covering my face in embarrassment again. I was also flustered by the way he was dressed - his haori was loose, exposing most of his chiseled chest.

With a chuckle, he gripped my upper arm to pull me down next to him, and was quick to wrap his arm around my waist and hold me close. He placed his lips against my temple and then settled to sleeping with me in his arms.

Glancing at him as he slept, I asked, "Did I say anything more after that I worry for you?"

"You said I smell nice," he answered without opening his eyes.

"Okay, I guess that's not too embarrassing, since I do think you smell nice. It's like the early summer rain. It's not cologne, I assume," I mumbled.

"Cologne? What is that?" Madara asked, now opening his eyes to meet mine. It felt nice talking to him like this, sleeping on his arm and looking into his eyes. It was romantic.

"It's men's perfume, mostly," I answered, "usually a mild scent that is applied directly on the skin."

"Your world seems to give a lot of importance to fanciness," he said.

"To an extent, I suppose," I couldn't help but agree. "Most people I know like to be fancy, though it's probably an influence of being in the fashion industry."

"You're not fancy, not here anyway," he stated. "You do dress well though, seeming particular about being neat and clean all the time."

"Yes, I do prefer to be always well dressed," I agreed. "Although I don't like things too extravagant, I do like wearing elegant jewelry for special occasions."

"Is that so?" Madara mumbled, watching me curiously for a moment. Then with a huff, he shifted to hover over me, his legs straddling my hips and a playful glint in his eyes. "Enough about that. How about we concentrate on us right now? You were so confident in saying that I am yours, and I can't help but want to see you prove it."