17 - War's Brutality

Sara pov:

"Are you done dicing the vegetables, Sara?" asked Shoko san, approaching me with the vessel of soaked noodles that she was preparing.

"Almost, Shoko san," I answered. I
"Is there anything else you need me to do?"

"No, but you can take Madara sama his meal after I've arranged it," she said.

"You really don't have to, Shoko san," I said with a sheepish smile and a blush rising onto my cheeks. I also felt incredibly uncomfortable under the sharp stare I received from Hitomi san who was on the afternoon shift replacing another who had gone out on a mission.

Ever since it became known to everyone in the Uchiha Compound a little over two months ago that Madara and I were seeing each other, there had been mixed reactions from the clansmen. While there were several of the middle aged group that supported us, including several elders because they thought of it as a way to keep me as an Uchiha Clan asset forever, there were several in the younger age group who absolutely loathed me for it for obvious reasons.

Shoko san was one of the former and had me take Madara sama his dinner whenever possible. He had been gone out to fight for three days now, and had returned only a little while ago. I was eager to see him, so I was grateful to Shoko san for wanting me to take him dinner. I was also a bit bashful about it, too, though.

"Of course, I have to," replied Shoko san. "Madara sama loves you and would surely wish to see you after being gone for three days. He will be comforted by your company after being on the battlefield, stressed and tired."

A smile came to my lips at her words. Nodding, I finished up with cooking the vegetable side dish and helped Shoko san serve dinner onto two low height tables to take to Madara's room for the both of us. Ten minutes later, I was heading over to his room whilst ignoring Hitomi san's intense glaring.

Upon reaching Madara's room, I knocked and entered after hearing him say that I could enter. He was just finishing up with putting on a shirt while standing in front of his cupboard, and I noticed bandages wrapped around his torso just before it was covered by the shirt. Placing the tables with our meals on the floor, I stepped to him. He turned to face me, regarding me with a small smile, a genuine smile that I had been lucky enough to see only thrice until now, and was quick to bring me into a strong embrace.

 He turned to face me, regarding me with a small smile, a genuine smile that I had been lucky enough to see only thrice until now, and was quick to bring me into a strong embrace

"You're tense, Madara. Would you like a massage after dinner?" I asked while patting his back gently. "Of course, only if it won't make your wounds hurt."

"I'm fine - these wounds are nothing," he said, pressing our bodies closer together and causing my heartbeat to pick up speed.

"How did you get hurt? Is the pain too much?" I couldn't help but ask.