Chapter 16

Previously on Chapter 15

Senku stands up and gestures that we should head back to Chrome's hut to sleep. I just nod my head and follows him. I slip inside the sleeping bag and close my eyes, letting myself drift off to deep sleep.

-Modern Food In Stone World-

Y/N P.O.V

The next morning, Senku told Kohaku to cut down some of the foxtail millets. We're going to ground them and turn them into flour. Back then, I know how to make ramen. Which is what I'm going to be creating today. It's also Senku's favorite food.

As the dish is cooking, I can see Kohaku, Suika and Chrome looking excited. I can see them drooling because of the scent. I smile at the sight and focus on brewing the soup for the ramen.

Soon enough, we're finally done. Chrome quickly volunteers to be the one to eat it. "Delicious!!!" He yelled out. Suika and Kohaku tries it. They quickly eats it, without a stop. I smile at the sight.

"If it's that good... then I guess I'll dig in too. It's been a while since I had some proper meal" Senku said. "Yeah..." I said. I take a bite and gag a little. It is good... but the aftertaste is bitter.

I can see Senku with the same reaction. But since the other three seems to think it's a food made of heaven. I guess we can make this work. The villagers will surely like it. We start to get to work in making more food and a ramen cart.

"Here you go, Suika..." I said, handing an ocarina to Suika. She looks excited and climb up the ramen cart. She starts to play a tune. I'm surprised she knows how to play. I take my flute and start to play as well.

A lot of the villagers walks out. Senku starts to serve the ramen to everyone in the village. One of the girl walks towards him.

"Wow... are you the one that made this tasty stuff?Your name's Senku-Kun? What kind of girls do you like?" She said. I can feel my eye twitching at the question. But I keep silent and help Senku serve the ramen.

"A girl who can pump a tons of oxygen into the furnace" Senku said. I just let out a laugh at what he said. "He's way too blunt" kohaku said. I let out a soft laugh. "That's Senku for you... he is always brutally forward" I said. He never hold back when it comes to saying what he wants to say.

"I'll just work them to death in proportion to however much they ate" Senku said. I give him a straight face, because he have a nasty face on. "Senku... your face..." I said. He turns to me and laughs.

"Hmm... this is making me thirsty for a drink. Like, say, cola" someone said. I furrow my eyebrow at what the person just said. "Cola?" Senku said. "Did you know this guy?" Kohaku said. "No..." I said. She calls out for the two guards.

"I'll put this into simple words. Enemies..." she said. As soon as she said that, her and the two guards in an instant surrounds the intruder. Senku stands next to me.

Kohaku have her knife close to the man's throat. "Answer truthfully, or I'll slit your throat here and now. Are you one of the long haired man's underlings?" Kohaku said.

"Hey, I don't mind being taken out by a cute girl like you. But I think you have me confused for someone else. I don't know anything about a long-haired man. I've been by myself ever since I was un-petrified" he said, turning to look at us. I squint my eyes as I stare at him. Then something clicked in my head.

"Wait... you're. Asagiri Gen..." I said. "I thought you say you didn't know him..." Kohaku said. "It's hard not to. He's quite well-known back in the day" I said. "He's the one who make trashy psychology book that our school mate talks about all the time" Senku said.

"So you read my work? I'm happy... though saying it 'trashy' hurts, though... call me a mentalist. Look, I'll apologize for taking the ramen. So would you please lower down your weapons? I'm so scared that my hand are shaking. I might spill this delicious ramen" he said.

"I-I'll hold on to it for you!" Ginro said, dropping his spear. I turn to look at Senku to see him staring at the guy with a suspicious glare. If Senku didn't trust him... I should be wary. I don't want the same thing that happened with Tsukasa to happen again. I don't want Senku to get hurt again.

"I was out looking for food by myself when, surprise, a nostalgic smell of ramen hit me, and I wandered over. Man, it's a terrible lifestyle out there" he said. Senku lower down his guard a little.

"Sure, whatever. I'll take your word for it. Either way, there's no such thing as free lunch. Everyone who's had ramen has work to do..." Senku said.

***

Again... Senku didn't let me do the work. He make sure I sit down on the rock and didn't move. I place my hand on my chin as I watch them do the work. I feel so bad for them. I don't even know why Senku wouldn't let me do the work. Is it because he still thinks that I'm sick?

"Asagiri Gen... how are Taiju and Yuzuriha doing?" Senku's question snaps me out of my thought. I turn to look at him. "Oh, I see... you thought you could get me fess up while I'm busting my ass. You have guts, pulling tricks like that on a mentalist. Don't worry though, Taiju-Chan's got an especially bottomless supply of strength. You know, don't you? Senku-Chan" he said, turning to look at Senku with a sinister expression.

My eyes widened at what he said. He knows about Taiju. He's definitely working with Tsukasa. Kohaku runs forward. "He's definitely with the long haired man. Should I kill him?" She said.

"Hold it, idiot... Asagiri Gen, you ten billion percent knew I was trying to make you talk. Why did you suddenly decide to admit that you're with Tsukasa?" Senku said.

"The tides have turned now that I've seen this..." he said, turning around with a smile. I still have a bad feeling about this guy. I will keep a close eye on him, in case he decide to play dirty on us.

A Few Hours Later

The iron sand is finally melted because we have more manpower. Senku pour it on a wooden mold. We wait for it to cool down, before taking it out. Senku looks so happy that we finally manage to make the iron. One step done, more steps to go.

"If I go to Tsukasa "Senku-Kun is alive" and you'd be done..." Gen said. I turn to look at him and glare angrily. Senku place a hand on my shoulder, sensing my anger.

"Calm down, Y/N... it's better if you go somewhere to cool of. Okay? Chrome, do you mind keeping her company?" He said. Chrome walks over to us. "Sure. Come on, Y/N..." he said. I let out a sigh and nod my head. I turns to look around and walks away. I sit by the lake and hugs my knees. Chrome sits down next to me.

"What happened, exactly? Why do you seem to be so angry about this Gen guy... and he works for a long-haired man?" Chrome said, breaking the silence. I turn to look at him. He stares at me with curiosity in his eyes.

I shake my head. "I don't wanna talk about it..." I said in a hushed tone, hugging my knees tighter. I place my chin on my arm, staring at the water.

Senku!!! My voice echoed in my head. The horror and fear I felt when I watch Senku falls on the ground. The way his eyes are devoid of life.

I clench my hands into tight fists. I don't ever wanna go through that again. I'll protect Senku no matter what it takes. Even if I have to sacrifice myself for him to stay alive... I'll do it.

*to be continued*