Chapter 14

Previously on Chapter 13

Senku P.O.V

She laughed. That's a good sign. Which means she's going to be okay. She really had me worried. I hope she'd be able to speak soon. I pains me to see her like that. I'll do everything I can to bring her back to the old Y/N.

-Persuasion-

Y/N P.O.V

Senku went inside Chrome's hut. I just follow in suit. They start excitedly going through the stones that Chrome collected. He looks so excited at the sight. Kohaku seems clueless because she can't tell the difference between the stones.

We head outside. Senku is crushing something. "Cinnabar... also known as philosopher's stone. It showed up in Dragon Quest, too" he said. He start mixing it with gold dust. Once he's done, he dips Kinro's spear inside the substance. When it cools down, the spear is covered in gold.

"I hope you aren't trying to buy me off with this nonsense..." he said. Even though I can see a glint of excitement in his eyes. I just shake my head. He may have a strict face. But he can't hide his emotions in his eyes.

Senku and Chrome celebrates their success, knowing fully well that Kinro actually likes the gold spear. "Is there any silver spear?" Ginro said, with a hopeful grin. But the two boys ignores him.

Chrome ended up asking Senku about a lot of things. Senku decide it's best to tell Chrome how life been before the petrification happens. So we head inside his hut. I sit next to Senku as he starts talking about all the technologies we had back then.

Chrome ended up in tears. "Why are you bawling all of a sudden?" Senku asked. "I'm not crying! Crap, I am! Who caused this petrification?? I'm pissed as hell!" He said. In the end, he decided to join us in building the nation of science.

"That there's a scientific way to save Ruri!" He said. "The antibiotic..." Senku said. To some people, creating that drug would be impossible. But I believe in Senku. I'm he knows what he's doing.

Senku explains to Chrome how the world works. He is shocked to learn that the earth is the one that's moving. Senku told him that even if it spins. The star known as Polaris, is the star that points true North.

"But that's not true North..." Chrome said. Senku soon realize that the earth axis have shifted over the 3700 years that have passed. "Wait... how did you know which one's true North?" Senku said. Chrome have a mischievous grin at what he said.

"I found this cool rock and it will points the true North!" He said. "Ah... a magnet" Senku said. Chrome falls back. "Crap! You know about that too!" He said. I cover my mouth and let out a soft giggle. Now that we have natural magnet, we can find some iron sand to make iron. But since it's now nighttime, we decided to call it a night and start tomorrow.

We head back to Chrome's hut. I slowly get inside the sleeping bag. Senku is laying on my right while Chrome on my left. The two boys falls asleep as soon as they lay down. They must have felt so tired.

I keep tossing and turning. But I can't seem to fall asleep. I let out a sigh, deciding that I need to get some fresh air. I quietly get out of my sleeping bag. I stand up and make my way out of the hut.

I sit down on top of the a rock, silently staring at the night sky. The wind isn't too cold, it's soothing. The air also feels fresh. A perfect atmosphere to help me clear my thoughts.

"Why aren't you sleeping?" Someone said, scaring me in the process. I turn my head to see Senku. He have his arms crossed as he stares at me with a stern expression.

"You know staying up in this situation isn't good for your health..." he said. I just look away and hugs my knees. He let out a sigh and walk towards me. He take a seat next to me.

"Talk to me, Y/N... you don't have to keep it in" he said. I tighten my grip on my arms that's on my knees. Tears slowly build up in my eyes.

"I-I'm scared, S-Senku..." I said. He wraps his arms around me, I lean my head on his shoulder. Tears starts to stream down my cheeks, as my wall slowly breaks.

"I-I was so s-scared, Senku... I thought that I'm going to lose you and the others. You guys are the only ones I have left in this stone world. I don't wanna lose either of you. I'm scared to be alone in this world" I cried out. He tightens his arms around me.

"You're not alone... you won't be alone. I can't make any promises for how long. But as long as I live... you will never be alone" he said. I bury my face into the crook of his neck as I keep crying softly.

His words of reassurance put my heart at ease a little. I close my eyes and let myself drift off to sleep in his arms. My head is on his shoulder, with my face facing his neck.

***

It's now the next morning, we'll be going to the river and start collecting the iron sand. Of course, we have to chance our clothes. I'm wearing a dress-like swim suit because I don't want to show too much skin.

Senku and Chrome are slacking which caused Kohaku to smack their heads. "Sorry..." they said. I let out a giggle at them. I turn my head and notice something moving in the water.

"What's... that?" I said. Kohaku and Chrome stares at me in surprise. "Wait, she can talk?!" Chrome said, pointing his finger at me. I turn to give him a look. I turn to focus on the thing on the water.

"A watermelon?" Senku said. As soon as he said that, a body appear from inside the watermelon. I let out a squeak of surprise. I let out a sigh of relief when I realize it's just a kid.

"Suika? Did you follow me here?" Kohaku said. She walks up to the kid and rub her head. "Suika? Is that her nickname?" I asked. Kohaku turns to look at me and nods her head, smiling softly at me. I hum and nod my head.

Suika lift her hand to show that she have magnet on them. Chrome walks to her and snatch it from her hand. "Hey, Suika! You took my magnet! Oh... iron sand" he said.

"I want to help. I haven't been useful because I've been wearing this mask..." she said, while dipping her hand inside the water. Senku smiles at her. "I appreciate that... I'm counting on you, Suika" he said, handing her his magnet. She looks excited because of Senku's kindness. I smile at the sight. Senku is right... I'd never be alone. I have to give these people a chance.

*to be continued*