"𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐌𝐄"

𝐁𝐞𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐊𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐥𝐞𝐬

-------------

My eyes scanned the huge expanse of the club as I sipped on my hard liquor. I had been in the army for so long, it was my off day and I needed to "let loose" as Robyn often tells me. However, I didn't feel like letting loose. I was tired- having gotten off of post for the weekend all, I wanted to do was go to sleep.

Instead, I was leaning on the balcony above everyone, looking around. Robyn was a club promoter, and she'd gotten us a section for tonight. She was off to the side of me with some other broad grinding on her. I wasn't paying attention to any of that shit. I wasn't paying attention to much, actually.

The music was loud and, in my ears, and my eyes were looking for nothing in particular. Drinking always put me in a zone. I'm not sure if it was PTSD from the war or not, but I hated the club, maybe all the loud noises triggered me. Drinking brought me into other headspaces, and I thought of my dead wife.

Fuck her. She was cheating on me with one of the sergeants below me anyways. I shouldn't be mad about it since it was so long ago- but it still haunted me on nights like this- when I watched these "happy" couples and friends dance on each other without a care in the world. It made me sick to my stomach.

I hated it. Momma always said that I should focus on something else than my career, but I didn't care. I had dreamt of becoming a Colonel all my life, and I worked my ass off for 20 years of my life to reach this status. I was only 40 years old- pretty young to have my life cemented before me.

Solange says I need a new life, or a "new flame." I don't care about that. The only reason I came here with Robyn was so I could get drunk. My drink was finished, and I didn't realize it until I went for another sip and my lips were met with nothing.

Robyn came up to me. "Hey, Colonel Knows." I sent a pointed glare her way. "Fuck do you want?" Groaning, she rolled her eyes at me- choosing to ignore my question.

"How's life in the club?" Her bright teeth were right in my face as she was smiling. Oh, how I was about to burst her bubble.

"Hate it." Was my answer, as I kept my face straight, scouring the floors for the nearest bar.

"Nigga you don't like anything? The fuck is your problem?" I grunted and turned back to the crowd.

"I don't have a problem. Fuck out my face." Robyn only chuckled. "You're the boss." She went back to the half- naked broad she came here with.

She's the only friend I made while in the Army. Came up to me- I usually stay to myself and people didn't like me very much. I stood up from the railing and sauntered over to the bar for another drink.

That was when a group of women caught my attention as they entered the club. It was like the red sea parted for them. I didn't stare at them too long, but some girl in a yellow dress was staring at me. I didn't come to the club for love or anything. I just wanted a drink, and possibly a smoke.

Turning back to the bar, I gestured for the bartender to give me another shot of patron, which he graciously fixed for me. I downed it with ease, letting the burn settle into my throat. My vision wasn't hazy- I could handle liquor well. Feeling a presence next to me, I turned to see that woman again.

Her head laid on her palm as she stared at me with a smile.

"You're cute." I took a quick look at her before turning back to the bartender. Her voice was light, but also really bratty. It was honestly kind of annoying- along with the way she was dressed. Very.. bright-commanded attention. 'look at me, look at me!' sort of vibe.