"Careless, you're careless!" (mini chapter)

Draco POV

I got used to Y/n. Quicker than I anticipated. She's right about one thing.

She's nothing like Potter. But she's usually wrong. She's wrong about her skill level. She's wrong about herself. Everything she says about herself is a twisted version of the truth. It's hard to pick apart truth from fiction. That's what I like about her.

I found myself in the same potions class, same day, same table, and same old Y/n. It's been three weeks since she came. Tom was able to make her a semi-stable potion but he's working hard for a more, permanent solution. This is why Y/n is perkier than usual.

"Class, due to our advancement we will be brewing   Veritserum." I noticed Y/n tense up. She wasn't perky, no she was borderline trembling. She zeroed in on the instructions and scribbled notes down. She had a determined and stoic demeanor to her as she zipped into the ingredient closet.

One by one, she tapped the ingredients on the table. She tapped her foot, her mind was racing as she set the silver cauldron and cast fire. It seemed like a blur to me. She was going too fast but meticulous.
"Let me take the lead for now, is that ok?" She rushed her speech. She's hyperfocused on this.

But why? I nodded, as I started to prep the ingredients. She started bringing the water to a simmer. I handed her the Ptolemy vial and she tenatively poured it into the simmering water. Tapping her foot she checked the clock.

"Are you ok?" I asked. She only grunted in response, I powdered the moonstone and handed her the mortar. She stirred the moonstone one spoonful at a time. She was focused on getting this right. That's it. I need to stop her before she spills something on herself.
"Maybe you should slow down." I snatched the stirring stick. "Sit back and let me take the lead until you calm down." She shot me a glare and crossed her arms.

"Fine."

I sliced and diced the Adder's Fork. I hope she can use the chopping sounds to ground herself. I can hear the cogs grinding against themselves in her mind.

"Mind telling me why you're so focused on making this potion." I snapped her out of it.

"To find a way to make a potent antidote. I hate being spiked by a potion." She seethed, gripping the edges of the table, she struggled to keep her suffering down.  This might be a trauma trigger for her, I carefully tried to pick my words.

I rose the heat and brought the mixture to a rolling boil. "I won't let that happen to you," I murmured, dropping the Jobberknoll feathers into the cauldron.

I removed the Cauldron from the fire and added the crushed Sopopphorus Beans into the bowl.
While waiting for it to cool, I tried talking her down. Tom taught me about this, I'll forever thank him for the gesture.

"Look, I don't know what happened in the past. But I will kill the person who'd even think to spike you." She looked up at me, with a conflicted expression. Her jaw was tight. She took a deep breath. Trying so few hard to calm herself. It took her approximately 30 minutes but her mind was semi-cleared. Enough for the teacher to not bat an eye.

Snape handed me a fully brewed Veritaserum, we were able to get the potion exactly right but had to wait till the full moon to progress further. Because of that, he gave us the potion as a consolation prize.

I did something stupid. But only to cheer her up. I downed it in one go. She slapped the potion bottle out of me but it was too late. People have been waiting for this day for the longest time. Turing to my class,

I was doused with the sudden urge of telling the truth.

"Everyone! Ask me one question per pair and I'll answer it!" I shouted with a dopey grin. She stood back in awe.

"Are you obsessed with Potter!?" A Ravenclaw girl asked me. She wanted to test the waters I smirked. Thinking of the perfect answer.
"I'm obsessed with one Potter, Y/n." People started gasping and whispering. Of course, they'd think about it first. Anything to get back at the school bully.

"What do you think of Hermione?" Hermione's potions partner, Luna, squeaked out a question.
"She's annoyingly smart, and I'm secretly jealous of her." I'll definitely regret this, but it doesn't matter. What matters is her smile. I barely even catch Hermione's surprised eyes.

"Who's your favorite weasely twin?" A girl spoke up. She seemed shy but I didn't care.
"Fred, of course, who wouldn't like him." y/n cracked up. She started smiling, forgetting about her worries. There's the smile I wanted to see. So worth it.

"Who are you in love with?" Someone in the back asked. Everyone paused to hear my answer. My dating life is a hot-button topic at this school. Everyone wanted to know who I fancy, who'd I marry. Which is ridiculous but anything to make her smile.

"I. Draco Lucius Malfoy am in love with Y/n Potter."  Gasps, whispers, and gossip littered the air. I can hear the clinging of galleons as the students traded their bets in. Hogwarts will turn into a gambling den I swear on Merlin.

Potter is definitely going to be pissed off about this. I don't care. Seeing her smile is worth it.

Y/n rushed over, taking off her tie, she tied it across my mouth before I can say more.

"Careless! You're careless!"